Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Monster Telrad ?

Just rec'd a Telrad (as new) from a nice chap on AB&S. Opened the box, blimey :shock:

Why does it have to be so big ? Being a complete dingle, turned it on couldn't see a thing. opened it replaced batteries, still nothing. Into a dark space still nothing .

READ the instructions -I was looking at it the wrong way round DOH !!

Karlo

Well I'm sure you're not the only one Beamish! :D

It is extremely large considering what it actually does. If you open the battery compartment then you'll see that most of it seems to be an elaborate plastic box for storing air...

:lol: The instructions are always a last resort, eh? :lol:

Absolutely that's what men are renowned for :lol:

Well I'm sure you're not the only one Beamish! :D

It is extremely large considering what it actually does. If you open the battery compartment then you'll see that most of it seems to be an elaborate plastic box for storing air...

Exactly ! What's the point ? Or is it because it's an American design ? Gotta be BIG !

Just rec'd a Telrad (as new) from a nice chap on AB&S. Opened the box, blimey :shock:

Why does it have to be so big ? Being a complete dingle, turned it on couldn't see a thing. opened it replaced batteries, still nothing. Into a dark space still nothing .

READ the instructions -I was looking at it the wrong way round DOH !!

Karlo

Hi Karlo,

I did exactly the same thing a few weeks ago when I got mine :D

On the plus side I recently discovered that you can use it in daylight. I was trying to find the moon the other afternoon and found that by looking down onto the 'clear slanty plastic bit' I could see the red target circles and a reflection of the moon - perfect.

Cheers,

Ian

I was trying to find the moon the other afternoon and found that by looking down onto the 'clear slanty plastic bit' I could see the red target circles and a reflection of the moon - perfect.

You needed a Telrad to find the moon, blimey you must have light polluted skies :D

Martyn and Ian, since you've both got one where do you wear yours? near the top of the OTA or near the mirror?

PS I was thinking of putting mine closer to the mirror end.

the Intes mn86 had one here see pic

and the C11 here see other pic

ps whoops on further looking you only see the base of the telrad on the Intes there the Vixen 102 is wearing it in the picture here

Karlo

The great thing about a Telerad (according to the wife) is the nice bull's eye circles to align targets in.

The nice thing (according to me) is that, with the Telerad plus mirror attached, the beast becomes a right angled red 'dot' finder. (Or an any angle you fancy as long as you can see the target!)

If you add the (old type) dew shield to this lot the Telerad becomes twice as big. But this shield, which covers the whole length of the scope is only available (as far as we know) from Pulsar as, one assumes, it is out of date, no longer in production etc..

Love my massive TELRAD Karlo. Because I wear specs I find it easier to use than the finder on my Newt. Makes star hopping easy too. I downloaded some telrad specific starmaps from a link that GIZMO posted a few months ago, makes finding things quite easy.

I'll keep searching for the link.

JV :D

XLNT, cheers .Actually got to fix it and use it last night. Didn't have a great deal of choice over where to put it (at the bottom of OTA) cos it is only a short tube(623mm), but once aligned, well wow ! LOVE IT !!

Certainly be taking a look at the maps on the link TA.

Karlo :D:lol:

Archived