Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Birthday treat

bottletopburly

They were 18 quid cheaper, good God how much do they cost, in the end it's 3 adjusting screws.

Alan

good question. Ive heard them mentioned plenty of times but never really looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were 18 quid cheaper, good God how much do they cost, in the end it's 3 adjusting screws.Alan

You think thats bad? I was looking at an ioptron cem60 comparing prices. A USA retailer selling for $2400. Uk price £2300 (thats just over $3900)

That's almost £900 difference. We just get royally ripped off in the UK

Bobs Knobs (six screws for the primary, by the way, Alan) were worth the few quid they cost. Made collimating just so much easier. The cost of not having them was annoyance and fiddling with a screwdriver. Then more fiddling. Oh, and then more ...

Well, you've got the idea, I'm sure.

The disappointing thing is that SkyWatcher don't do themselves any favours by fitting the collimating screws supplied on what is a reasonable beginner's scope (the 150P) - unless it's a ploy to force learners to fear collimation ...!?

A definite confustication!

They were 18 quid cheaper, good God how much do they cost, in the end it's 3 adjusting screws.

Alan

Yeah, the price is sickening; socket head cap screws with plastic thumb screw tops.  Should only cost few pennies each.

I've been an amateur machinist for over thirty years and use a lot of these plastic caps; their cheap and can be squeezed on with a vise, or tapped on with a hammer blow on a block of wood protecting the threads. I posted about this in another thread awhile back, I hate to see people get ripped off.  Check out " McMaster-Carr " industrial supply and type in" thumb screws ", then click on search.

Edit:Here is a photo of about five dollars worth of tops.

post-21902-0-37546500-1405798762_thumb.j

post-21902-0-67462700-1405798851_thumb.j

post-21902-0-62431400-1405798862_thumb.j

post-21902-0-82792900-1405798871_thumb.j

post-21902-0-50735200-1405798884_thumb.j

Yes mad really but hey bit the bullet if you know exactly what you require then you can use the internet to track down the parts 

Yeah, I've bit the bullet a few times too, guess it's swings and round-a-bouts and we try and make it up somewhere else.

Glad you got what you needed and can be up and running. 

Cheers, and clear skies !

Archived