Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar sketch 8th July 9.15am

Stu

Today's offering. Very lovely seeing this morning, granulation as clear as I've seen it and the 9mm was very sharp. Some hazy cloud to contend with though.

This one is of AR's 2108, 2110 and 2109.

9evazadu.jpg

TV85, Herschel Wedge, Baader Continuum filter & 9mm BGO

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still plenty to see then. Was cloudy here this morning so did not get my morning solar fix :sad:

Yes, loads going on. The new AR's have taken over from 2104 & 2107 as stars of the show at the moment

Stu

Thats good Stu. I took the easy option and imaged it this morning. There is indeed alot going on today up there and from the looks of the eastern limb more to come

Thanks Phil. Yes, I saw some more coming round the corner too, good stuff.

This is my Mickey Mouse iPhone shot cropped to give a similar view. Some light cloud around which didn't help. I got my spacing to the smaller AR wrong, it's too close to the main group :-(

Updated with a slightly better version, taken an hour or so after the sketch was done.

u6a5u6at.jpg

Stu

Thats pretty good Stu. Years ago, when I were a lad, I used to do solar projection onto paper then trace the spots. Ive actually still got some drawings from the 1970s maximum with several full imperial size drawings I did through my mates 8.25" Newt. We sellotaped the paper on the side of his dads garage and projected the solar disc onto that. It helps getting the positions of the spots then you do the detail by eye.

That sounds interesting, would be good to see. I think you need to dig them out :-)

Being able to trace the positions would be very handy. Mine are done freehand, standing and just holding my pad, not the easiest. I need to find a more comfortable way of doing it.

That sounds interesting, would be good to see. I think you need to dig them out :-)

Being able to trace the positions would be very handy. Mine are done freehand, standing and just holding my pad, not the easiest. I need to find a more comfortable way of doing it.

I shall have a rummage, not sure how to scan the imperial ones on my a4 scanner :-) I shall photograph them i reckon and scan some of the fullscap ones, note how Im not using imperial sizes, metric wasnt invented back then :-) :-)

What i used to also do is use an artists easel to hold my pad and project onto that

Photographing would work fine I reckon, so long as you could get them reasonably flat.

I do need to sort out a better arrangement, an easel or rest of some sort would help, as would sitting to observe

Really lovely sketch. Is that just pencil or are you using charcoal?

It's just pencil, I use a 2B for the umbra and a 2H held flat to the page for the penumbra. Seems to work :-).

This is my most convincing one yet I think, am getting there slowly.

brilliant stuff Stu. your fine detail is really excellent and shows how sweet the seeing is with a wedge? or your eyes just work better then mine? :grin:

Cheers Shane. This is all your fault (and Qualia's) for starting sketching yourself!

The Wedge in the 85 does give fantastic detail. There is more on show than I have been able to capture, and it is finer/more intricate too.

Seeing plays a big role. This was one of the best views I've had, was around 9.15 so the sun was high enough but the air hadn't heated up yet. The granulation was lovely and clear, always a good sign.

I see no reason why your Vixen shouldn't be a great performer too, particularly with a continuum which will get rid of any slight CA you might see.

Thanks again

Stu

Archived