Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

July 6, 2014: lots of surface detail in H-alpha

Just managed a shot look at the sun, and the disk is crawling with sunspots and associated activity. A string of spots can be seen on the southern hemisphere, and the easternmost is MASSIVE and trails an area of bright plage. A tree like prom is visible north east on the limb. On the western limb, a low arc is visible on the limb. It could be what remains of the large filament running across the disc in the last week or so. To its north another prom shows.

Don't think I will have a chance to image today, but glad to have had a glimpse

Got my turn today. And absolutely blown away!

Amazing detail on the surface and the prominence on the western limb (thanks Michael, for helping me with east and west!) looked like a Macdonalds M, if that's not too demeaning a description for such a mind-blowing phenomenon. It has since collapsed on itself over the space of 2-3 hours. The number of other proms and spicules left me astonished and solar watching is, as others have suggested, likely to become addictive ...

Still lots to learn, so shine on!

p.s. What eyepiece(s) do you use, Michael? I tried Naglers 9 and 13 but still seem to get best from the Cemax 12mm. Got a feeling the 18mm might be better, though. Anyone got any thoughts or advice?

Mark I think Michael was using his Lunt 35 H.Alpha hence being able to view proms, filaments etc - you won't see proms in white light. I am hoping to view the Sun later with my 4" Astro Tech with Herschel Wedge for white light and the Coronado PST on the mounts other side to view H.Alpha.

From what Michael has stated above the Sun sounds very active today.

I have just had a lucky break in the clouds and boy what a result, the sunspot detail is nothing short of brilliant, I don't think I have seen so many large sunspots at any one time before :laugh: 

Herschel wedge, 80mm equinox and Vixen SLV's between 6mm and 2.5mm  :laugh: excellent detail

Hi, Shaun. It got all hazy here latterly but not before I'd got in some really great views in Ha. Large halo round the sun now.

But 6-2.5mm?!! You must be almost INSIDE those sunspots with that magnification!

Gordon,

I am surprised more folk don't use high mag when observing in white light (remember my focal length is only 500mm), there are some cracking details to be seen with the wedge, if you have a fine tuner.

It has been a little hazy here also but a big gap is about to become available :laugh:

Thanks for the heads up people!I set up just now,great,intermittent seeing (between clouds).Awesome again,Shaun you are right about the mag,I'm using the zoom + barlow wound out right now-180x and the spots are still sharp.I zoom back for the faculae,granulation(88x) and zoom in for the spots.I like the zoom for solar,using it as about a 3.5mm-7mm right ATM.Very active sun right now,a Ha scope would sure be nice......

Archived