going old-school... - sky atlases!

although stellarium served me pretty well on the field , i want to give the old fashioned way a chance and use a sky atlas.

i think this way i will get to know the night sky better , and also not risking my precious macbook out in the field.

anyway i found these 2 options, both with great reviews

1. pocket sky atlas 

pros: compact and convenient for field use, fairly cheap.

cons: not laminated, "black stars on white background" only, maybe too compact?

2. sky atlas 2000.0

pros: laminated and durable, white stars on black background - i think prefer this option

cons: damn expensive!

if you were on a budget (but able to pay more for something more useful that really worth it's price tag)

which one would you choose as your first (and the only for now) sky atlas ?

Pocket Atlas for me too, when I'm not Stellarium-ing, great resource....I also have the Cambridge (old. non ring bound ed) but that's for looking at & gawking, indoors. And, ahem, I have a tiny wee thing called Stars, published by Gem books which I use for quick lookups of constellations. Cheap, but actually really useful for me as on the larger charts without constellation lines I still have a hard time ID'ing a lot of em....

Sky & telescope pocket Sky Atlas is not laminated, but it's pages are

waxed, which means any dew can be wiped off, also the pages lie flat,

as it is ring bound, I find it a very useful sky atlas, as long as you pre-plan

your session, and it's a reasonable price. 

Forgot to say - yes agreed on Google Stars, also Stellarium & SkYe (or whatever it's called) mobile app. Pretty nice for bedtime research on the phone (can't have the light on - wakes my wife. 'swhy I can't catch late night baseball on the TV either, sigh).

Finding this thread quite interesting as I'm looking atlases.

When I go camping later on in the year, I'm going old school and using the AZ4 instead of using my goto EQ mount and as we all know the CG5-GT sounds like a coffee grinder when slewing so I don't want to disturb the other campers.

although stellarium served me pretty well on the field , i want to give the old fashioned way a chance and use a sky atlas.

i think this way i will get to know the night sky better , and also not risking my precious macbook out in the field.

anyway i found these 2 options, both with great reviews

1. pocket sky atlas 

pros: compact and convenient for field use, fairly cheap.

cons: not laminated, "black stars on white background" only, maybe too compact?

2. sky atlas 2000.0

pros: laminated and durable, white stars on black background - i think prefer this option

cons: damn expensive!

if you were on a budget (but able to pay more for something more useful that really worth it's price tag)

which one would you choose as your first (and the only for now) sky atlas ?

I have both, but the Sky Atlas 2000.0 along with its "Companion" guide can keep you busy for a lifetime, and worth every penny in my opinion. The companion has data and descriptions for "all" of the 2700 galaxies, nebula, and star clusters shown in the Sky Atlas 2000.0

Edit: Photos for comparison. 

post-21902-0-20286200-1404413294_thumb.j

post-21902-0-40941900-1404413313_thumb.j

post-21902-0-53414700-1404413328_thumb.j

i have the delux unlaminated spiral bound version that's practically as new and has never been used under the sky... must be about 20 years that i've had it. are they worth much?

IMG_20140703_233922_zps6i96fpjq.jpg

IMG_20140703_233951_zpspnqugmrh.jpg

The tri atlas and deep sky hunter atlas are excellent and free.

I downloaded both and have the the tri atlas B version printed off in A3 Matt laminate and ring bound (not cheap).

It is a very detailed map down to mag 12 stars so hopping is easy.

The deep sky hunter is less busy but easier to read I recommend either.

Star hopping is great with a decent star chart. The tri atlas I had printed is on Matt laminated 180gsm paper spiral bound.The Matt laminate pouches would be a bit better as I get dew creeping in from the edge's of the pages and probably cheaper.

Thereis more detail on the tri atlas but The deep sky hunter is easier to look at.

I've been thinking of getting the deep sky hunter printed off and doing it in pouches next time.

Looking forward to this winter's sessions

Damian

Archived