VIEWING THE SUN SUGGESTIONS

There should be a full aperture filter over then end of the scope for white light observing.

No need to cover a red dot finder but don't look through it. I normally take mine off.

Always check the film before use and don't use it if it is damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of us use the shadow of the scope to get the sun close.Just move it around so the shadow is smallest.Dont look at the sun through a scope,finder or anything without the proper filter,securely in place.

Make SURE the filter is the right one-what filter are you going to use?and for what scope?

there are a number of gadgets out there to help you align the Sun.  Some are easily made yourself.  I find the shadow method a bit difficult.  

I bought one similar to this one, it was very cheap:

di-hp2b-320.jpg

Or something like this:

sun_solar_finder_rear_view_an.jpg

post-29827-0-61928000-1403622414.jpgI made a finder out of a scrap of aluminium bent the ends up and drilled a small hole one end and stuck white card at the other fixed with two bolts with springs under for adjustment works fine for me when I am not using my go to mount.

attachicon.gifFinder.jpgI made a finder out of a scrap of aluminium bent the ends up and drilled a small hole one end and stuck white card at the other fixed with two bolts with springs under for adjustment works fine for me when I am not using my go to mount.

I like that, simple and doesn't require you to look at the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And for those folks with a finder scope either filter that too or take it off. If you don't you could find it a tad hot on you head while looking through your scope! Shadow technique works fine followed by low power EP.

I use the shadow technique and with no eyepiece in the focuser. you see the view down the focuser go bright when the sun is centred (obviously with solar filter in place). once found you can easily keep up with it at the powers used for solar (usually <100x).

I made my solar finder so I could use the existing standard finder shoe/attachment.  It would have been a bit pricey since it uses a finderscope holder but I had one that I'd already broken.  To that I added some tough black plastic pvc material at the front with a hole in and used the bottom of a yoghurt pot (Yeo Valley :grin: ), scuffed with sandpaper to make a projection screen at the back.  It works very well for my needs.

Archived