blinded by the sun

hey everyone, i just got myself the skymax 127 and decided to look at the sun, i put badder sun film over the front of the scope looked at the sun

and it nearly blinded me, what am i doing wrong, it worked with my 1145p

When you say blinded you how do you mean. From what I am lead to understand is that you would not be aware of any problems from exposure to UV until several hrs later. The problem with this is that you would be happily using the filter oblivious to the damage being caused and so a high risk of blindness would be almost a given.

This said I have had sore eyes from solar observing http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/114782-sore-eye-after-using-baader-solar-film/

Do you have (or have you made) a proper solar filter holder?  These can be made of card and sticky tape quite easily and should hold an undamaged piece of solar film over the entire aparture of your telescope.  Additionally you should either cover or remove the finder scope if you have one.

You must check your filter before every use - even one pinhole and it should not be used.  Be careful and you should get good views of the sun.

By the way you need Baader film ND 5.0 for visual work - Do you have that?  or do you have ND 3.8, if so, that is only suitable for photography and must NOT be used visually under any circumstances.

For the Sun to be blindingly bright when using solar film there would have to be an obvious gap in the protecting filter. I would suggest removing the eyepiece and having a look at a bright sky, this should reveal the light leak.

As above and make sure you DONT stretch the film over your objective.  Its fine to have ripples in the film, it doesn't affect the viewing and make a proper holder to fit your scope.  See my thread (and others) in DIY Astronomer forum.  If you are in doubt do not use the film again.

I agree that more information is required, e.g. what you mean by "blinded". If the image was considerably brighter than the adaptation level of your eye before viewing then it would be dazzling at first (like when people look at the moon through a scope - which can't actually damage the eye). If by chance you look at the sun through a telescope without filter then the blink reflex (and heat) will almost certainly protect you from lasting damage. Viewing the sun for a long time through a filter that transmits damaging UV or IR can lead to damage that becomes apparent afterwards, though viewing isn't uncomfortable at the time.

Umm First check the filter by looking at the sun through it without any optics. Check for pinholes. You should be able to see sun as a dim ball. Then construct a filter according to the instructions you got with the filter roll, or youtube videos or internet articles. Then recheck the filter against the sun, always check the filter. Then make sure the filter is on the objective end of your telescope and STAYS THERE. Protect your face while looking through the scope, otherwise you will get sunburns or a funny tan. ND5 filter should be ok for any scope as long as it is place on the "sun side" of the scope and not the "eye side". Atleast I can still see this text after looking at the sun through my 12" scope and baader film.. 

Personally, even if I got a slight hint that the film was in some way defective i'd throw it in the bin. You can always lay the filter over the end of a bright torch as well to look for malfunctions, I have found in the past that the film itself wears down and becomes very shallow in places. What you are doing wrong.... well with all niceness, not following the very sound principles of looking at the sun through a scope, basically aim the scope at the sun by all means but before you look through the eyepiece place your hand over it to see if direct sunlight is hitting it, as a last resort, glimpse from a distance to see if the eyepiece has lit up. No way on earth would I ever just aim and look, if you do get blinded there is no way back.

Archived