13mm Ethos -don't laugh but

neptune1

Are you meant to take the screw out of the barrel to fit it in the 2 inch diagonal? Am worried it will cause the smaller barrel to drop out. The smaller barrel also feels a bit loose, is this normal? 

You do remove the screw to use the eyepiece in 2" mode. Make sure you put it somewhere safe as they are easy to mislay.  The 1.25" barrel should not be loose in any way though - there is no play at all with mine, it's rock solid.

I put a 14mm Baader "fine tuning ring" or FTR on my 2" Ethos barrels. It might be the wrong colour but it means it feels more secure and a 2" cap fits fine.

I imagine it lining up better but that might just be the engineer in me.

You can still use 1.25" filters but beware of contact with mirrors or prism diagonals.

Imho, that screw is a waste of materials.

YMMV.

Thanks all, much appreciated. I've tightened up the small barrel and it's now firm. The lens is at the bottom of the barrel, does this mean it will have lost it's alignment? Was first time out of the box.

Do as John answered and don't forget to take the protective cap off the end, I found the view much better when I did.

Alan.

I've done that a few times, and panic each time that the ethos is broken!

I agree about the FTR ring, it feels more secure with it on, protects the bottom lens more and takes a 2" cap too. They should make this standard like the 3.7mm ethos I think.

Lovely eyepiece :-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stu,

The 13mm was the first I bought and was really looking forward to it, when I looked through it I wss so disappointed because I couldn't work out what the problem was straight away, I was using the 2 inch fitting and it took about 2-3 mins and I even had to take it to light to see what a total brick head I had been. Still I will not do that again.

Alan.

Thanks all. I unscrewed the barrel screw, end cap removed, lol,  and put it into the 2 inch diagonal without incident. Had a good look at the trees and birds 200ft away, wow. Great views. just need to pray for the clouds to lift and I'll give it a proper try in the semi darkness.

I put a 14mm Baader "fine tuning ring" or FTR on my 2" Ethos barrels. It might be the wrong colour but it means it feels more secure and a 2" cap fits fine.

I imagine it lining up better but that might just be the engineer in me.

You can still use 1.25" filters but beware of contact with mirrors or prism diagonals.

Thats what I've done with mine too. I can use 2" filters on my 6, 8 and 13mm Ethos(s) now.

What is the plural of Ethos by the way, apart from "expensive" ? :grin:

Thats what I've done with mine too. I can use 2" filters on my 6, 8 and 13mm Ethos(s) now.

What is the plural of Ethos by the way, apart from "expensive" ? :grin:

I'm sure it's Ethoisesses? Sounds right anyway ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived