Views and Replies????

I am sure this has been asked many times before,

but when you post a topic you can expect to get people "reading", "liking" or "replying" and these should show up as a numerical value on the views/replies data to the right of the topic. 

so........................... 

how is it that you can get people "liking" your topic without apparently "viewing" it?

and

how is it that you can see people are reading the topic but still no views?

If you click on the main forum section heading 'General help and advice' a list of posts is presented.

Scroll down to the post of interest and you will see ' No of replies' and 'No of reads' listed to the left of the latest reply.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

"liked" your post too but still showed no views

It seems to me that the views are no showing up until you get a reply. Just replied to your post and now you have views..................

If you click on the main forum section heading 'General help and advice' a list of posts is presented.

Scroll down to the post of interest and you will see ' No of replies' and 'No of reads' listed to the left of the latest reply.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Thanks

I just assumed it was a delayed update (e.g 15 minutes) to prevent servers from  processing a whole bunch of data every time people read a post...

A delay of 15 minutes i can understand, 1hr 30 mins seems somewhat extreme  :smiley:

I would suspect that these are low priority as far as the forum software is concerned and is done either whenever processing allows or periodically either by time or on an action being performed.

Try f5, refresh, it might cause an update in the displayed information.

Not sure about this forum software, but if you are using your Back button rather than a Forward jump link such as SGL home, you risk redisplaying from local cache rather than loading fresh, hence can hit like, then hit back and show a no view scenario for the page even when a like has been left behind.

Does that make sense???

I'm more VBulletin familiar.

The forum only updates the view count on topics every 3 hours. This makes a big difference to the performance of the board as with the sheer number of page views we have, performing a write operation for every view would be a significant resource burden.

If somebody replies to the topic, then the topic has to be updated so my understanding is, the view count will get updated at that stage as a write operation needs to be performed anyway so the system may as well take the opportunity to update the view counts as well.

Hope that helps explain what you are seeing.

Cheers,

Grant

The forum only updates the view count on topics every 3 hours. This makes a big difference to the performance of the board as with the sheer number of page views we have, performing a write operation for every view would be a significant resource burden.

If somebody replies to the topic, then the topic has to be updated so my understanding is, the view count will get updated at that stage as a write operation needs to be performed anyway so the system may as well take the opportunity to update the view counts as well.

Hope that helps explain what you are seeing.

Cheers,

Grant

Thanks, explains a lot.

Archived