Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my last goal for 2014.....image a comet....

Just wondering what bright'ish comets are around at the moment to image, i got 1 out of 5 goals left for this year and that is to image a comet, any pointers on comets would be great, along with any data capture tips would be excellent, i am a complete noob to comets, never seen one or imaged one, seen plenty of pics of them not quite sure if they would need to be single subs or several tens/hundreds of pics stacked, would you need to be guiding to get better results. just like to be prepared as much as i can...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats great mike! what exposure was your image above? and was it a single exposure?

im guessing that you want one long (10-20min guided sub) as i cant see how it would work with say 100 x 20min subs as the comet is moving so fast right so it will be trailing from sub to sub...?

i have been searching google for imaging a comet with a telescope, but all im getting is hubble websites etc,etc, does any one know of a good guide or tutorial to image a comet? cant really find a lot of info on the subject at all :( 

any pointers at all would be great...

6 subs were 300secs at iso 800.

I noticed even with 300secs the comet had moved on each.

Notice the slightly elongated head.

I gather you can guide on the comet but the stars trail?

There is a bit in the DSS help about comets.

No expert on this, I just wanted a comet like yourself. :grin:

6 subs were 300secs at iso 800.

I noticed even with 300secs the comet had moved on each.

I gather you can guide on the comet but the stars trail?

No expert on this, I just wanted a comet like yourself. :grin:

Thanks for that info buddy :)

its defo going to be my hardest challenge to date.............well no guiding has been my biggest challenge, dont think anything can top that....lol

where are all the pro's us novice's need some guidance looooool :D (not calling you a novice, just me lol :) )

yes i have seen people guide on the comet with trailed stars, i like the images better with no stair trails, cant wait to try tho, maybe ill get my head around it more once i have actually tried...

C/2013 K1 PANSTARRS is making its way from Ursa major to Leo.  It won't be around for much longer, so get out as soon as you can.  I have imaged it a few times, it's not the most impressive comet I've seen (but those in the southern hemisphere may geta better look at it), but it has appeared in a number of nice arty settings.  Here it is (the feint fuzzy blob) with a much brighter star Psi-UMa.

It was taken with my Canon 1100D DSLR using my 200p, coma corrector, EQ5 mount - no guiding.  15x120 seconds + bias frames, ISO 800, processed with Deep Sky Stacker & GIMP.  I couldn't get a clear image using the DSS all-in-one comet mode, so I processed the background and the comet separately, from the same subs, and then combined the two images in GIMP.

If you miss this one then C/2013 UQ4 Catalina might be impressive in a month or so.

14273175712_555f755125_z.jpg
C/2012 K1 & Psi-UMa by porkyb, on Flickr

C/2013 K1 PANSTARRS is making its way from Ursa major to Leo.  It won't be around for much longer, so get out as soon as you can.  I have imaged it a few times, it's not the most impressive comet I've seen (but those in the southern hemisphere may geta better look at it), but it has appeared in a number of nice arty settings.  Here it is (the feint fuzzy blob) with a much brighter star Psi-UMa.

It was taken with my Canon 1100D DSLR using my 200p, coma corrector, EQ5 mount - no guiding.  15x120 seconds + bias frames, ISO 800, processed with Deep Sky Stacker & GIMP.  I couldn't get a clear image using the DSS all-in-one comet mode, so I processed the background and the comet separately, from the same subs, and then combined the two images in GIMP.

If you miss this one then C/2013 UQ4 Catalina might be impressive in a month or so.

C/2012 K1 & Psi-UMa by porkyb, on Flickr

Hi Porky, yes dont think ill catch panstarrs then with work and clouds, i only get the chance to image friday and saturday :(

wow you have a really nice capture there porky! thanks a lot for your capture details, think ill aim for say ISO400, 15 x 300 seconds (guided) + bias for now and see what i get with those settings and adjust accordingly :)

ah thats great to know Catalina will be coming in a couple months :)

Apparently there is some around at the moment but I can never find them.

yes just looking at Panstarrs on stellarium at the moment, but dont think ill be viewing that at mag 17! :(

i wonder if EQMOD and CDC can track comets ok? has anyone tried this and does it work ok?

yes just looking at Panstarrs on stellarium at the moment, but dont think ill be viewing that at mag 17! :(

i wonder if EQMOD and CDC can track comets ok? has anyone tried this and does it work ok?

i think thats a different one, This comet begins the month in Ursa Major at magnitude 7.7. Look for a 7' coma. It should brighten slowly, moving into Leo by month's end. http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/

i think thats a different one, This comet begins the month in Ursa Major at magnitude 7.7. Look for a 7' coma. It should brighten slowly, moving into Leo by month's end. http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/

ah thanks mate, and thanks for that list too! :)

what are you going to do for the rest of 2014 when you've bagged the comet, mate ?

I'm looking forward to the summer skies, I fancy getting some decent nebulae done

oh dont worry about that, im going to get into deep sky imaging properly as soon as the dark skies hit!! got all the gear needed now, so just need clear skies :D

a lot of people moan about summer skies, but its still good for solar/planetary and clusters :D

edit, thanks also chris will have a search on youtube for eqmod and comet guiding :D

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I would have found it without something bright as a signpost.  It's all old-school, non-goto here.

This was 25x45 seconds, ISO1600.  Taken using my 200P/EQ5, coma corrector and Canon 1100D.  Stacked twice in DSS from the same subs, once in standard mode and once in comet mode. The two images then combined in GIMP.

I might have got more detail of the comet with a longer exposure, but this one is moving pretty fast and even a one minute exposure had the comet becoming elongated.

• 1 month later...

Just thought i'd mention comet jaques is a great photo opportunity in the lower half of cassiopiea right now. just passing through the heart nebula ic1805 :)

A set of 60sec exposures will do it just fine. 

good luck with the search :p

Archived