NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mobile Phone Lunar Imaging; from 3 different camera phones...

SteelRat

Had such a nice evening out with my 110mm Tal1SLT Newt last night. Hope you folk had fun out there too.

At past first quarter the moon was pretty bright but M81 and M82 were still easily visible in the Tal 25mm plossl. Mars was a tad wobbly at x230 but steady and showing detail at x161. Saturn managed to find every single branch in our local Ash tree to hide behind during my time out but that didn't matter so much.

The moon was looking real nice in my little Tal1.

All wrapped up warm I had a good explore and also managed to rattle off a few pics with my (freebie) 3mp camera phone. Having just had a bit of a sort out I also had my old phones handy (and charged :D ) so took some pics with them for comparison. Please keep in mind that all three pics are single frames on full auto, taken afocally and handheld so the comparison may not actually be worth "all that" :D:lol: Also I have a lump of something in the lense of the samsung so I'm holding the phone at a slight angle for it not to show up - makes some of the image out of focus :laugh:

Here's what I got from the;

Samsung D900 3mp CMOS camera phone

3799_normal.jpeg

(click pic to make big)

Nokia 6630 1.3mp camera phone

3802_normal.jpeg

(click pic to make big)

Nokia 5140 0.3mp camera phone

3807_normal.jpeg

(click pic to make big)

The 5140 hasn't got a pc cable or bluetooth but has got infra-red. Managed to transfer the pics from that phone to my laptop using the infra-red linkup. Never done that before - thought it cool 8)

Cheers

Matthew(SR)

When reviewing mobile phones its usually ease of use, size, video options, mp3 memory ring tones etc. etc.

This has to be first astrophotography shoot off between three mobile telephones :shock:

In third place:

Nokia 5140 – Nice contrasty image. Let down by definite pixilation (What do you expect for 0.3MP!!!)

Silver goes to the Nokia 6630 1.3mp. Those extra MP really make a difference. Still let down buy the over sharp sections in the more contrasty sections of the pic.

You are Gold! Samsung D900 3mp

Those mega pixels really do count! Lots of contrast and really smooth transitions from light to dark. An excellent pic in anyone’s book. Well done Matthew… :thumbright: :thumbleft: :thumbright:

The wife's gonna order me a couple of bags from a phone recycling place to send my old Nokias off in.

Hopefully should get £20-odd for em. The Samsung will go when I get my next free upgrade sometime in May. Hopefully I should get something in the way of a 5mp jobbie and then somewhere around the £50 mark from the recyclers for the Samsung.

Cheers folks

Matthew(SR)

You can certainly provide some moon magic with the phonecam Matthew.

You ought to sen a couple to the phone companies, I'm sure they could build an advert around their phone and your pics.

Could net you a bundle of money.

Ron. :D

I’m going to have a crack at phone photography myself… :?

Just ordered a 2MP Sony Ericsson w810i for £30 from http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/rf/add//navigation/product.do?D=410265992&thisprod=410265992&Mis_item_loc_id=1&Ntk=group_search&SNtt=PF464&N=85%20104Ν=this_product&Ntt=410265992&Dx=mode+matchall&Np=1&product=410265992&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpart if you use code ZG103 (£15 off and free delivery) at the checkout….. (It’s locked to T-Mobile / Virgin)

A right bargain :thumbleft:

Just need to hone my technique. (A primer would be nice SR?)

Cheers

Jon

I’m going to have a crack at phone photography myself… Just ordered a 2MP Sony Ericsson w810i... Just need to hone my technique (a primer would be nice SR?)

Yay! Should be a nice phone Jon. Never used a 2mp phone (went from 1.3 to 3) but y'BOUND to get some good lunar shots from an SE 8) Lookin forward to seein em. Not sure about that primer mate. It's been asked for before :shock: but I mean... I haven't even been able to put an observing report together yet :oops: I'll see what I can knock up.

For now though hows about;

Steady hands help so dress warm and relax. The old 'SNIPER' method helps; breath in... breath out... hold....

...click :D

I'm sure they could build an advert around their phone and your pics

Heheheh, can't see that happenin Ron :D But y'know; with the money I get from my two old phones put together with whatever I get for my Samsung - I might get a pretty good compact camera. Perhaps something somewhere around the 7mp mark, maybe even with one of those fancy CCD chip thingies built in? Next time I do a comparison it'll be between a 5mp phone and whatever CCD equipped compact camera I can pick up.

Cheers chaps :lol:

Matthew(SR)

Ps, Any 6+mp CCD equipped digital compact recommendations would be appreciated.

Archived