Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

9inch F4 Lens, DIY project?

Daniel-K

Not much in the way of coating (single MgF2 most likely). Could suffer from internal reflections. Having said that, it will almost certainly have good resolution, and a HUGE flat field. I know of several people who built meteor cameras from similar (if slightly smaller) aerial reconnaissance cameras. It might be more useful for imaging than visual, although you would need a massive chip to do it justice

I doubt if it's cold war, more likely WW2. From the photo probably uncoated, the lens didn't look pristine either.

Dunno, might be worth a punt for a bit of fun, but don't expect APM or Tak quality out of it.

I built a telescope based around a 6 inch f 6.3 lens system from a ww2 aerial camera . 

It certainly teaches you what chromatic abberation is. It was  usless visually even at low magnification .

On the plus side it wasn;t a bad astro camera used with filters very very heavy mine was all brass with an internal iris a freind of mine had the same lens as on e-bay only he had the entire camera used it as an astro camera results at the time were ok .surplus stuff used to be quite cheap in the 1970's i think mine cost £15 took many months of paper round money to save up for.

Might make an interesting project for someone .

Archived