Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strange sightings....

I have just seen something I gave never seen before... I happened to be looking up at mars and out of the corner of my eye noticed something whizzing past. I initially thought asteroid or something of that nature but it didn't go out of view just carried on its coarse right across the sky... what could it have been?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I'm really not sure, I have never seen a meteor travel so far across the sky, could be a satellite I guess... was pretty awesome whatever it was! I love how even without a telescope I can be utterly fascinated by the sky!!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I've almost given up trying to identify bright satellites now. There are so many that you can't look at the sky for more than a few minutes without one showing up.

I saw a bright one a few nights ago. Passed right overhead on a track that was easy to remember yet SatelliteSafari didn't offer any solutions even down to satellites that were forecast to be below naked eye visibility. Probably some military equipment that isn't cataloged.

So any star like object that takes a few minutes to cross the sky and perhaps steadily fades or brightens is almost certainly a satellite. A fast moving "streaking" object that takes a second or two to cross the sky is almost certainly a meteor or less likely some space junk burning up on re-entry.

Archived