Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Little Dismayed!!

terryc

Hi All

Well! Have been studying my books and using the phone apps, have seen Jupiter a couple of times through my bins (only 8x42 from birding) and that is that!!

What with the bad wx, have seen nothing else!! tell me it will be alright soon!!! 

Sorry, but astronomy is a part-time hobby in the UK. Can't do much about the weather, lots of moisture rolling off the Atlantic. As an example, here's all of 2012 in satellite image snapshots:

Originals.jpg

If you count up all the days where your part of the country is visible it actually adds up to quite a few (bear in mind, those clear patches will tend to blow through during the course of a day), but as you can see long stretches of cloud aren't uncommon. If you're patient the opportunities will come. 

I spend more time reading and thinking about the subject than doing anything practical. I'd like to be able to observe and image more but that's just the way it is.

Yeah, we're all in the same boat, never-ending cloud and rain, it's part of being where we are. I do think, however, that of late the weather has been particularly dire.

First question is what are you hoping to look at and expecting to see?

How many of the constellations do you know?

Sensibly to "best" items are globular clusters.

If I said try the double cluster in Perseus could you locate it?

How about Hercules, can you locate that.

There are some double stars - Mizer/Alcor being the obvious, but there numerous others.

Not sure how dark your location is either, I tend to wander off a couple of miles, just to get a slightly better environment.

I empathize alone with everyone else here. I just remind myself to seize and enjoy every opportunity, this includes viewing the moon during daylight hours. I am also consider getting a solar telescope. 

I used to get really frustrated but don't anymore, it soon becomes obvious that the hobby is not for you if you don't have patience.  I shrug my shoulders daily at the inopportune sky and go inside and put vinyl on, or think about something else.  I still have not seen Saturn with my scope yet in decent conditions, I have a feeling it may be back in opposition at this rate. 

It can be frustrating but there are compensations. If you want to live in a green and pleasant land it first requires a good watering, and at least it means we appreciate our clear nights when they come.

I'm not against cloud as such, I'm pro-cloud in fact, but I'm sure we could get on just fine with a bit less of it....

Sorry, but astronomy is a part-time hobby in the UK. Can't do much about the weather, lots of moisture rolling off the Atlantic. As an example, here's all of 2012 in satellite image snapshots:

Originals.jpg

If you count up all the days where your part of the country is visible it actually adds up to quite a few (bear in mind, those clear patches will tend to blow through during the course of a day), but as you can see long stretches of cloud aren't uncommon. If you're patient the opportunities will come. 

I spend more time reading and thinking about the subject than doing anything practical. I'd like to be able to observe and image more but that's just the way it is.

I think i remember this day. It was a Thursday. It clouded over when the sun set.

post-5361-0-64149000-1400071987_thumb.jp

Archived