NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just spoke with TeleVue about planetary filters

Just got off the phone with televue.  The Mars Type A is discontinued. Type B is being produced and the planetary will be out soon - so I was informed that you should place your orders. The reason that they are hard to get at times is because of their high level of quality control. If their supplier does not meet their standard they will not be sold.  By the way, the planetary is also wonderful on the moon but you must ignore the blue perimeter around it.  On Saturn it is as terrific as it is on Jupiter. 

Thats typical Tele Vue quality control - every one is checked before it goes for sale. And you can get them on the phone and chat to them about it  :smiley:

Thanks for the feedback Allen  :smiley:

Being in Los Angeles I typically get my stuff from Telescopes.net (woodland Hills Camera and telescopes).  I think they have a few in stock last I checked (last week).  Televue has authorized deals which I think their site provides.  I guess your closest shop can place an order. Best of luck in getting the filters and enjoy the views.  Let us know how it goes. allen g 

Being in Los Angeles I typically get my stuff from Telescopes.net (woodland Hills Camera and telescopes). I think they have a few in stock last I checked (last week). Televue has authorized deals which I think their site provides. I guess your closest shop can place an order. Best of luck in getting the filters and enjoy the views. Let us know how it goes. allen g

Thanks Allen, had missed the fact that you are the other side of the pond! Will have a check over here.

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way, the planetary is also wonderful on the moon but you must ignore the blue perimeter around it. 

I'm confused, as well as inexperienced in planetary filters it should be said. I can get that effect by swapping out my apo for my achromat, so what use is a filter that does that on the moon?

Russell

Russell, scroll down to the threads below pertaining to the planetary and mars filters - there is much said about their effect with respect to viewing Jupiter, Saturn and mars.

No, I get that, hence I've been looking at filters as I'm finding that I'm doing a bit more planetary these days.

My point was specifically about the blue fringe to the moon. This sounds like CA which is normally cited as being responsible for reducing contrast on what is darn near a monochrome subject. Specifically for the moon, I have an ND filter that reduces the brightness down to acceptable levels, maximizing contrast and without introducing false colour. On that basis alone, I was honestly wondering what makes the TV Planetary "wonderful on the moon"? :)

Russell

Allen,

Absolutely excellent feedback. I will have to wait but I am sure I will get one soon. As John said extensive QA work by Televue, I was responible for QA here in Bulgaria and UK production from other parts of the world which is probably why I like TV so much. QA work seems to have taken a back burner with many companies these days, this is true of who I worked for, it has all been covered up with the words "team work". Just look how many problems some of the car manufacturers have had and one of those in particular is a world leader.

Alan.

Thanks Allen, had missed the fact that you are the other side of the pond! Will have a check over here.

Cheers,

Stu

Hi Stu, I bought mine from AgenaAstro in the States but saw them cheaper at SCS Astro (£107) over here.  I paid about £120 with postage and import charges. SCS link: http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/tele-vue-planetary-filters.htm

Hi Stu, I bought mine from AgenaAstro in the States but saw them cheaper at SCS Astro (£107) over here. I paid about £120 with postage and import charges. SCS link: http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/tele-vue-planetary-filters.htm

Many thanks. SCS are out of stock currently but I have one in order with them now. Hopefully should be available towards the end of the month.

Cheers,

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a nice little 'pressy' drop through the letterbox from SCS Astro. They may have stock still if anyone is looking for one.

Might be able to try it in a week or three with the forecast as it is :-(

4adadyza.jpg

Stu

Good stuff Luke. Haven't had a chance with the Mars filter yet, or at least I did but the seeing was rubbish!!

Fingers crossed.....

Stu

Just managed a quick go with the A and B on Mars in the TV85. Seemed very good, improved the contrast and pulled out more surface detail I felt. Need a lot more time and to try them with a bigger scope to really see the differences. The 85 coped very nicely with x200, noticeably better than the 76 on higher powers.

Stu

Glad you got a view in with the new filters, Stu :) And congrats on the TV-85! As far as I know, a recent addition? :) We are loving our 85, having agonised over the 76 or 85. Sarah and I both think the long term answer is BOTH scopes! The 85 is just a joy to use, it makes me observe more :)

Sarah and I managed a quick test with the Planetary and Mars Type B filters using the TV-85mm.

These are only very early impressions. For a nice test, I think I need to throw more aperture at it, so I am thinking of three scopes: the TV-85, Equinox 120 and Edge 8 inch. And I'd like to compare the views with the filters to no filter and to a Neodymium filter. I'll post my thoughts when I get the chance to see them fight it out!

My very initial impressions with the TV-85 are:

- the bands on Jupiter were clearer with Planetary filter than with no filter. However, Jupiter was rapidly approaching roof level, and conditions were simply not up to showing subtle features.

- With the Mars Type B filter, Mars looked a nicer - and very natural - colour to Sarah and me than the view with no filter. Sarah could not see a lot of detail at all last night on Mars, it must be said, with or without filter, though she was tired and did not stay at the eyepiece for long. I was a bit more awake so managed a longer view, and when the details did snap in, I had no doubt that this was my most detailed view of Mars to date with the TV-85. The details were subtle, but they were there, with a lovely colouring.

- Saturn, not much to report here, we point blank forgot to try with no filter! I was a bit tired by this point, so for me it was mostly about seeing the Cassini division, which did come in and out of view.

I look forward to seeing how these filters work out!

Luke, you rumbled me :-). I got it recently and haven't publicly 'fessed up to it yet ;-). It is a lovely scope, I'll post up separately about it.

Cheers,

Stu

Archived