Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

autoguiding question

It depends on the firmware on the handset in my opinion. My iOptron ZEQ25GT does not require a view of the polestar to be able to do one or multi star alignments. That said you should always use a compass and give the mount a basic leveling and get it pointed to either your TRUE north or south. In any case strive for the best in whatever situation you're in and you'll get the best results out.

Do you need to polar align to the north or south pole when on the equator?

Not sure drift align somehow ??

A GEM would be a handfull at the equator, weights would may be strike pier/tripod.

I believe one of the Astro-Physics mounts will go from 0-78 latitude but you will still need to see Polaris/pole.

in tracking

This may sound silly to some,but, do you need to polar align when using an autoguider ?

The short answer is yes it is mandatory to get as accurately polar aligned as possible. Autoguiding is supposed to correct small errors in tracking not correct bad PA. If you have one of the GOTO mounts from SW or  Celestron then the polar align routine will get you close, it is an Iterative process so 3 or 4 cyles is sufficient. If your mount is permanently placed in an observatory of a sort and you have good view of the south and the west then drift aligning will give best results but it does take time so it is not an ideal suggestion if you move the mount in and out every time like most of us.

A.G

Archived