Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moonlite focuser for the Dob arrived

The base plate mounting screws can be a bit fiddly but it's not too bad just don't drop them on your primary

Thanks for the tip - I will keep the cap on. At least that's possible with an open design. It would a nightmare fixing anything to a closed tube - I would be guaranteed to let something fall inside!

Good luck kerry I had to bore the two bottom holes a little bit bigger as you know. A round file should be able to do the job. You may need a little bit of foam to stop light leak feom thw curvature of the plate as its not quite snug

as dan k says kerry. i bought the moonlite and the fitting kit for my vx14 and it was perfect profile for my tube, dan fitted my fitting kit to his sw and there was a sligt gap in the centre of the fitting kit, suggesting the diameter of the sw is slightly bigger than the 00

Well it's installed but it was not easy. The problem is that the so-called universal installation kit isn't universal. As others have said you need to enlarge if the holes in the scope which is brutal. For the money that you have to pay for the installation kit it should do what it says on the tin. Then - because of the need to provide a range of holes they need to be small so the actual fixing screws for a substantial piece of kit are then small and fiddly. The focuser looks good and is very solid with none of the play of the SW original but I think Moonlite should accept that the SW Flextube 350 is a popular scope and make sure that their expensive fiixing kit actually fits it! Sorry for the bit if a rant but I think if you spend almost 300 quid on an upgrade it should fit better.

But now I'm looking forward to using it !

Yes Dan - much cursing, I couldn't help thinking that it shouldn't take over an hour to put four screws in. I also found that my Allen keys didn't fit, presumably because it's all American imperial! Ah well .... Now the scope is all out of alignment and I was too bushed to fix it. So it's an hour with the refractor tonight..

Archived