Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 with 10" SCT @ f/10

ChrisLX200

Probably my last attempt at M51 for a good while :)  I dumped the f/6.3 focal reducer because it was causing severe vignetting (perhaps because I couldn't get it spaced correctly) and reverted to the native f/10. So I imaged M51 again from scratch, 8x Lum and 3 each RGB. All 10min subs. I've shown the mono (Lum) and LRGB versions.

L-16-bit_zpsd9c10d16.jpg

LRGB_zpsf3b5ee17.jpg

ChrisH

Very impressive! Following Sara with F10 imaging. :D  

Which camera did you use? I guess 490EX seeing the impressive result with such limited amount of data? What bin setting did you use?

Sorry yes, info given was a bit sparse :)

Scope: 10" Meade LX200 Classic (modded)

Camera: Atik 490EX binned 2x2

FW: Atik EFW2 with Baader LRGB filters

Mount: Losmandy G11+Gemini

Gude: Vixen 90mm f/11 frac with Lodestar

Processed: StarTools, PI, and AstroArt 5

IMG_0310_zps4b3904f0.jpg

Thanks, ChrisH

This is looking very good Chris, I urge you not to give up on this image just yet, go back and collect some Ha and add it to the red channel it will bring out the Ha regions in the spiral arms and give it that bit more pop!

That is looking excellent - What is your image scale with the 490 camera and the C11?

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments!

Sara: I'm using 2x2 binning on the 490EX which is equivalent to about 0.5 arc sec/pixel (it's an old Meade 10" LX200 Classic at f/10). I had to work the scale out exactly in order to get Elbrus (plate solver) working but I can't remember the exact data off-hand. I used the Astrometry tool in AstroArt 5 to calculate that figure. Elbrus wants it exact to 2 decimal places or it just throws an error.

ChrisH

Archived