NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barlow disappointment?

darthvader

I recently obtained the X-Cel 2 x Barlow for my scope and have used it a few times for mars/jupiter and a few clusters but have got to say ive been a bit disappointed with the results obtained.

I've used it both with the 10mm and 25mm stock eyepieces so is it that these eyepieces are to blame or am I just expecting to o much from the Barlow?

It seems that although magnification is increased the quality and detail of the image is much reduced. I was sort of expecting some degradation of detail but not as much add I've experienced.

you have to remember a Barlow doubles your FL so you need twice the amount of light to get the same detail
I tend to use my Barlow almost entirely on Planetary imaging rather than viewing
you will get better results using a 5mm which is the same as your 10mm and Barlow but at your native FL

I think it's more likely to be the stock eyepieces that are the weak link in the optical train, particularly the 10mm. The LX barlow will almost certainly be better quality optically than them.

With the 10mm eyepiece the barlow gives a 5mm which is 240x. Assuming decent conditions and that the scope is in reasonable collimation and cooled, that sort of magnification should work well on Mars, double stars and the Moon and even Saturn on good nights. It's likely to be too much for Jupiter though for which 180x - 200x is likely to prove more satisfactory.

But, of the components in the optical train, the eyepieces are currently your weakest performers.

I agree with John, its probably the stock eyepiece's.

I have one of these barlows and it works well with my eyepieces, the 10mm stock eyepiece which come with the skywatcher scope's aren't very good.  

It shouldn't be the barlow, but what are the conditions like generally?

I haven't had a decent look at Mars yet through any EP, conditions have been pretty bad and the seeing worse!

If you are seeing a boiling fuzzy blob through the 10mm and 25mm then the barlow won't make it any better.

The 25mm isn't usually too bad and at 96x with the barlow, should give reasonably good views.

Although Mars can take more magnification, if the conditions aren't good, then you just won't achieve a good image at 240x with the 10mm and the barlow.

Time to upgrade those eps I'm afraid....

Ive already ordered a william optics 6mm planetary eyepiece from FLO for planetary work - just waiting for it to arrive before mars disappears for ever!

Any recommendations for an eyepiece for galaxy hunting? Don't mind paying up to about £150 for it

If you have a 6mm coming then perhaps back to the X-Cels and how about a 25mm and 12mm or 15mm.

2 of them would come to close to £130.

The alternative would be 3 of the BST's say 8mm, 15mm and 25mm in those.

Those 3 are fractionally under £150.

I am working on the basis of forget the supplied items and aim for 3 or 4 others.

Find 4 is a better opion for a scope:- 2 for high mag, 1 medium and 1 wide.

Consider a 16mm MaxVision to give you 75x magnification (plus 150x in the Barlow)

With either a,

24mm Maxvison = 50x

28mm 2-inch fitting = 43x mag

or the 800g 34mm = 35x magnification

I use a 42mm 65 degree eyepiece - but it is too wide at 28x.

A 28mm will be much better (or the 34mm MV if you can handle the weight)

Consider a 16mm MaxVision to give you 75x magnification (plus 150x in the Barlow)

With either a,

24mm Maxvison = 50x

28mm 2-inch fitting = 43x mag

or the 800g 34mm = 35x magnification

I use a 42mm 65 degree eyepiece - but it is too wide at 28x.

A 28mm will be much better (or the 34mm MV if you can handle the weight)

the 16mm maxvision and 24mm maxvision seem to be very well thought of judging from the comments on here - i will probably go for them - is it worth the extra for the 82 degree FOV on the 24 mm ?

is this where you bought yours from ?

24 mm -  http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Maxvision-82-Okular-24mm.html?cur=1&listtype=search&searchparam=maxvision

16 mm - http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Eyepieces/Maxvision-68-Eyepiece-16mm.html?cur=1&listtype=search&searchparam=maxvision

thanks

Yes - Explore Scientific, and Yes if you and the scope can handle the 800 gram weight.

I have the 68-degree 24mm, which is excellent.

But I wanted a wider view soon afterwards for better views of the Andromeda Galaxy etc.

Hence the overkill with the 42mm.

With the 82 degree version of the 24mm you will get the wider view, but keep the 50x magnification for Nebula and clusters.

Check out the double cluster if you decide to get it.

There should be a mass of stars across the eyepiece, with an inky black border to frame the view.

If you have £150 to spend, and need a one size fits all eyepiece, then the 24mm 82o should do the job well.

Never tried it myself, but members here say very good things about their Meade versions of the same eyepiece.

The 16mm is still one of my favourite, most easy to use eyepieces (as someone who doesn't wear glasses)

They should make a good pairing if you get both for less than £200.

can't seem to order from the explore scientific site - keeps throwing up error msgs at checkout but no error text - tried different payment methods but same result :sad:

does anywhere else stock these? can't seem to find any other stockists online

I have both the 6mm WO SPL and the 24mm Maxvision, which is particularly good value. Very happy with them and they both get a lot of use. Not as much use as I'd like given the current rubbish weather though.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived on tuesday.... OMG the 82 deg is gigantic and must weigh a couple of kilos!!! I will post a photo later :-D

Hopefully get to try them out tonight - patchy cloud forecast here tonight but its semi 2 for Eurovision first!

Archived