What is the best Eyepiece for Mars, Jupiter, Saturn etc

Hello all,

I'm extremely new to this so please be gentle with me  :grin:

I've just purchased a new SkyWatcher 130M, I was torn between the 130M and the 130P, anyway I've made my choice now. I've also purchased the following kit for it.

Revelation delux laser collimator. For collimating the primary mirror only, as apparently the secondary mirror has to be done manually as there's no centre mark on the primary mirror.

Revelation Astro 2.5x 3 element apochromatic air spaced Barlow

Celestron 1.25" Achromatic T-adapter Which also includes a 2x Barlow(elements unknown)

I'm trying to decide which eyepiece I should get for viewing planets as I know that I will need to upgrade sooner or later, so I might as well just do it now,Thats also why I got a new 2.5 Barlow. I've been pondering over a Plossl 7.5 or 8 made by Seben, Celestron or even maybe SkyWatcher. If I got an multi coated size 8 eyepiece my magnification will be as follows, 900(Focal Length) * 2.5(Barlow) / 8(Eyepiece) = 281.25.

Would the above be okay for viewing planets. I've just got the kit, but being in the Birmingham, all i've seen for the last few days are clouds  :embarrassed:

Thanks in advance...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello welcome to SGL.

280 magnification apart from the moon is likely too high for that kind of aperture scope on planets to get optimal views you will like, in my opinion anyway.  I have an aperture 130 reflector scope, though different focal length  an find 130 - 180 mag is good for Saturn, Jupiter, when you go much higher than that clarity and contrast begin to suffer.   

Soon you will discover that planetary viewing is not all about magnification being bigger and better. You got some nice starter kit.  Personally I would start out with that  and see what you make of it with that you've got for a bit.   have a look at some targets for a bit before going on a shopping spree on extras, which I know can be all too tempting  :smiley:

If the scope came with a 10 and 25mm eyepiece as they often do  I would not have bought a 2.5x barlow to start with, since the 25mm will give you 10mm, which you already got, and the 10mm 225x. None are really in a sweet spot for scope, though you will enjoy the moon with the latter. If you build up some more eyepieces in time the 2.5 barlow could be useful if you build a set around it to fill the gaps though.

Enjoy the new hobby :smiley:

Hello Peter, welcome to SGL.

I find an exit pupil of 0.8mm to be perfect for the planets - not too bright so that detail is washed out and not too dim so that the eye cannot see it.

For your scope that would be x163 or a 5.5mm eyepiece or a 14mm eyepiece if used with your 2.5 barlow.

Hello welcome to SGL.

280 magnification apart from the moon is likely too high for that kind of aperture scope on planets to get optimal views you will like, in my opinion anyway.  I have an aperture 130 reflector scope, though different focal length  an find 130 - 180 mag is good for Saturn, Jupiter, when you go much higher than that clarity and contrast begin to suffer.   

Soon you will discover that planetary viewing is not all about magnification being bigger and better. You got some nice starter kit.  Personally I would start out with that  and see what you make of it with that you've got for a bit.   have a look at some targets for a bit before going on a shopping spree on extras, which I know can be all too tempting  :smiley:

If the scope came with a 10 and 25mm eyepiece as they often do  I would not have bought a 2.5x barlow to start with, since the 25mm will give you 10mm, which you already got, and the 10mm 225x. None are really in a sweet spot for scope, though you will enjoy the moon with the latter. If you build up some more eyepieces in time the 2.5 barlow could be useful if you build a set around it to fill the gaps though.

Enjoy the new hobby :smiley:

Thank you for the response Alex. I had already read that 180 was the perfect magnification. I also read that a quality Barlow and replacement eyepiece was necessary and the eyepiece should be between 7 and 8.

Okay so If I purchase a quality 12.5 eyepiece which I'm happy to do right now, I can easily get to 180(900 * 2.5 / 12.5). I'm looking at a SykWatcher 12.5mm eyepiece at the moment, this is complicated  :embarrassed:

The main reason why I've decided to just go ahead and replacement Barlow and eyepiece is simply because on this forum I've read many many many comments where users have replaced their standard Barlow and eyepiece with better quality equipment and they enjoy the benefits straight away.

I've also purchased the adapters for my cameras, as I'm into both moon shots and seriously small macro photography(flies, ants ect), I just thought that I would give it a go. I've always loved stargazing(astronomy), but I've never really done much about it. Being a techie, I just decided to do something about it and set myself a starters budget as I've seen fit.

Yep, all I want now is to see clear skies so that I can get practising.

Cheers...

Hello Peter, welcome to SGL.

I find an exit pupil of 0.8mm to be perfect for the planets - not too bright so that detail is washed out and not too dim so that the eye cannot see it.

For your scope that would be x163 or a 5.5mm eyepiece or a 14mm eyepiece if used with your 2.5 barlI'm still looking into everything

Thank you for the feedback,

I'm still looking into everything, there's lot to learn and not enough hours in the day for me  :laugh:

I will admit it though, I'm sure that I will end up with a nice selection of eyepieces with the next 12 months. I'm enjoying the steep learning curve and I can't wait to for the clouds to to just disappear.

I really do appreciate every bodies feedback.

Btw, no I'm not impatient  :evil: , living in the UK just always appears to be cloudy when you least want it to be lol...

dweller25 does that mean you would prefer the 5.5mm rather than the 14mm?

If you are going to get plossl's then get the 14mm, if a single eyepiece then something like the 5mm BST Starguider or Celestron X-Cel.

The eye relief on a plossl is about 2/3 the focal length, so on a 5mm or 5.5mm you will be close enough to the top lens that it will almost be a contact lens. A 2.5x barlow and 14mm plossl delivers the magnification but maintains the eye relief - about 9mm.

A single eyepiece like the BST/Celestron will give 13-17mm eye relief - depends on whose specification you read.

If you wear glasses then you need the eye relief.

If you are going to get plossl's then get the 14mm, if a single eyepiece then something like the 5mm BST Starguider or Celestron X-Cel.

The eye relief on a plossl is about 2/3 the focal length, so on a 5mm or 5.5mm you will be close enough to the top lens that it will almost be a contact lens. A 2.5x barlow and 14mm plossl delivers the magnification but maintains the eye relief - about 9mm.

A single eyepiece like the BST/Celestron will give 13-17mm eye relief - depends on whose specification you read.

If you wear glasses then you need the eye relief.

ronin you have completely lost me, eye relief?

Okay, I've just read this link http://www.celestron.com/support/knowledgebase?article=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.celestron.com%2Fc3%2Fsupport3%2Findex.php%3F_m%3Dknowledgebase%26_a%3Dviewarticle%26kbarticleid%3D2377%26group%3Diframe&title=What+is+eye+relief%3F

I've just also read this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyepiece#Pl.C3.B6ssl_or_.22Symmetrical.22

Hmm, erm, okay I'm going to have to look more into this, as I MUST be missing something :huh:  as I'm now getting confused...

First try the eyepieces that came with the scope. Since you have a Barlow, try that too. Also try inserting the eyepiece to different depths in the Barlow - you don't have to always drop the eyepiece all the way in. Just hold it in place at any position such that it won't drop out. You'll find this gives you different magnifications - sliding an eyepiece in and out of a Barlow gives a "zoom" effect (though you need to keep refocusing).

That may keep you busy enough to stop you thinking about buying more eyepieces. Then you'll have more time to save up and get really good ones, for example TeleVue plossls, which give excellent planetary views. Though the thing that gives the very best planetary views is steady air, which you get by choosing a good viewing site (e.g. not looking over someone's roof), spending long enough at the eyepiece (any eyepiece) and waiting for the right moment.

Being new to this and trying so hard to get the advise I need to determine the next step in my adventure means that we all STILL need to be very careful in what we ask.

This is the kind of thread that beginners read whilst searching "What is the best Eyepiece" Or "Is magnification better than getting a bigger and better telescope".

Hi Peter , and welcome to SGL.

Before you buy anything else try and get out to a local astro club's observing session . The folks are usually a friendly bunch and most will let you try out eyepieces in your scope if you ask .

I am a member of http://www.centralmidlandsstargazers.com/ but this might be a bit too far for you , try this site  http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Counties.aspx  for a club that might be nearer

Hello and thanks for all your replies.

Last night I finally got around to manually checking the telescope, it needed collimating  :huh: I was not happy one little bit as it was apparently collimated at the factory. So I followed the instruction for collimating it (I made a collimating cap) and went outside for a quick peek, not bad it could have been better.

Today I decided to check my primary mirror alignment with my laser collimator, it was strangely miles out  :confused: , so I adjusted the primary mirror which then looked way out through the collimation cap afterwards. Yes you know exactly what I'm going to say. I decided to make a 'V' shape holder to check the laser collimator, it was way way way out  :mad: so tomorrow I will have to spent a shed load of time learning how to collimate my laser collimator before I re-collimate the primary mirror again, that's a mouth full  :grin:

Pyrodave thank you for the information, I will look into contacting the club in Knowle who meet up at Dorridge Village Hall which is only a few miles away from me, how convenient is that...

Usually the three screws are buried under some black silicon but I tried and tried to do mine with no luck i binned it and got a Cheshire i have never looked back since. Collimation was a bit of headache first time once i had blocked the reflection of primary mirror and put a piece of card opposite the focuser made life much easier now it takes 2/3 mins max.

Hello ,

I decided to get the 5mmm TMB Planetary Eyepiece and a Revelation Superview 15mm Eyepiece as I already had the Revelation 2.5x Barlow.

All I have to do now, is wait for a break in the clouds over Birmingham, I'll be waiting a long long long time lol. Actually I did manage to see Jupiter a few days ago, yes I manage to see the rings just about. I've got more fine tuning to do :huh:  but I was very happy with my first real attempt, especially as I had to manually collimate my telescope a few days before, I'm sure that I can do better though  :grin:

Hi Peter, welcome to SGL from me too.  When you say you saw rings did you mean you saw Saturn rather than Jupiter?  Although all the gas giants have rings, unlike Saturn they cannot be seen as they are too dark.

No problem, They tend to be called "belts" for the darker bits and "zones" for the lighter bits. They're the clouds we can see in Jupiter's atmosphere that are arranged into bands.

Jupiter does have a ring structure too, like Saturn, we just can't see it from earth from our back gardens.

Hello rwilkey, I meant to say that Jupiter the planet itself has two distinct rings(lines) on its surface  :grin: .

Hi Peter, sorry about the mix-up, I see where you are coming from now.  Yes, to see the rings (equatorial belts) around Jupiter is great I think and one of the more stunning sights in the night sky.  I have a special filter (TV Planetary) that brings out the rings a bit better and am dead pleased with what I can see.

Peter, with my 127 MAK, I often use 188x on Jupiter and Saturn and I do not think my scope, eyesight and/or conditions would be successful at any higher mags, or at least it would be very rare occurrence so the suggestion of 175x is a good one. Note that I slip down to 125x or 100x when  conditions do not play ball.

Archived