Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with 250px???!!

Is there any point in even considering trying to start imaging with a 250px? I know its a big lump of an ota and part of me is saying just buy a bigger dob when you get your cash but there's that little voice in my head saying what about EQ mounting the 250 and trying some DSO AP!

Would the AZ EQ6 cope with the payload? I know it claims to have an 18kg limit for AP but the ota is 15kg alone without cameras and guiders and everything else that would be needed and real world performance is often quite different to quoted specs or would i be looking at the NEQ8 to hold it steady enough for imaging?

Maybe i should just put AP out of my mind, download images from hubble and buy a sumerian :)

As oldpink says, an NEQ6 or AZ EQ6 should handle the scope ok. What might be more challenging though would be accurately guiding a scope with a 1200mm focal length. I have no personal experience of this but I've read several times on here that if you are just getting started in imaging it is a lot easier to guide a scope with a focal length of less than 1000mm. 

Also, even if you are only thinking of trying DSO imaging, buy Making Every Photon Count if you don't already have it.

+1 for making every photon count & the AZ-EQ6 (I've got both). Plenty of people do AP with a 10" f5 newt & eq6, (just search the forum), however plenty of people also say its tougher to do than with a smaller scope - less impact of breezes on the stability and aperture is not as important as visual or planetary.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The only reason am considering it is I'm literally starting from scratch. I'll have to buy a laptop as my current one is on its way out and too archaic to even attempt AP with and a desktop for processing, mount, camera, guider. Think a apo frac might be pushing my budget that bit too far on top of all the other gear I'll need.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I image with a 250PX on an EQ6 side by side with an 80Ed and it more than copes, I have been known to shoot 30 min subs at 1200mm.

It's also is great for luna nd planetry work.

Here are a few of my results.

M51-2013-L-RGB-047XX-copy-2.jpg

moon-MOSAIC-8-9-2012.jpg

m82-l-HaR-G-B-2010-13-2.jpg

gallery_730_1107_47792.jpg

i use the 200pds with a finder webcam guider and an 1100d on the az eq6 and the mount dosnt even know that the gear is there its a beast 50mm finder and lifecam 3000 as guider with 1000mm fl 200pds and stars are pinpoint after 15 mins cant expose for longer than that with the light pollution where i live.

I`m thinking along similar lines. 

I have a SW300 Dob and am thinking of getting a AZ EQ6 to put it on. I have a 200p om a EQ5 with synscan upgrade at the moment. Its all housed in a ROR obsy on a concrete pier so that should help with stability.

Great images MikeD!!

• 3 months later...

Archived