Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What can I reach?

I have been thinking about which targets to set my sights on(DSO). My best guess is the horsehead, the brighter galaxies in the virgo cluster, m82/81, and m51 for now. Are any of these possible with a 70mm and 1 min expos in the city? I have done okay so far and u can check it out in my gallery. Thanks!

The horsehead might be getting a bit hard now as it's setting quite early but I managed it earlier this year with a 60mm 'scope although the exposure times from memory where 5 min. the leo triplet, m81/82 and m51 are all doable with a 70mm although the image scale can be quite small if it's a fastish 'scope. I think a small frac is ideal for nebula and unfortunately, we're heading into galaxy season...oh wait...there's the veil nebula coming around in a few months and also north america nebula wuold be great for a small frac. Hope this helps

Thanks! Yes, I am aware that a 400mm is a small field of view but I have a good camera and hope to captue clusters, like you said. I am looking into an 80mm ed with a longer 560mm focal length. Thanks again for replying.

Thanks! Yes, I am aware that a 400mm is a small field of view but I have a good camera and hope to captue clusters, like you said. I am looking into an 80mm ed with a longer 560mm focal length. Thanks again for replying.

400mm will give a large field of view, but a small image size. globular clusters are fairly compact so will appear small, but open clusters are spread out so would benefit from the large field of view.

there are many open clusters Beehive, coathanger, Hydes, Pleiades, M35, the double cluster, some of them are obviously not around at the moment. you could do some globs and maybe crop the image a little.

a 1 minute exposure is very short and i certainly dont think that would be anywhere near enough for the horsehead nebula or even the veil nebula.

a ED 80 would be a fine choice of scope, it is probably the most popular imaging size scope around!

Hi

I use a 72mm refractor.

It's a case of realistic expectations with the kit that you own.

What mount / other equipment do you have?

M13 Hercules cluster is a nice target to go for.

M81 & M82 will be a bit small, but you'll still get a good result.

Regards

Neil

Bunnygod1 I m sorry mistyped. yes I have even see b33 don with 2 sec exposures. Thank yall for the advice and I have been looking into an ed80. I have an ioptron smarteq, a rebel t3, and a crappy barska 70mm.

Hi <br />

<br />

Check out the Video astronomy section under Science. <br />

<br />

Although mainly video cameras, we use CCD and modified web cams for short exposures. <br />

<br />

See what can be achieved with modest equipment. <br />

<br />

<br />

Clear skies<br />

<br />

<br />

Paul

Have a look at some of my shots with the SmartEQ and Equinox 66 at 400mm (http://stargazerslounge.com/user/25254-edjrgibbs/). They aren't brilliant but I'm still learning. I seem to find plenty of targets. Currently you should be able to get:

- Heart Nebula

- Leo Triplet (M65/66/NGC 3628)

- M81/81 

- M13 cluster

- M92 cluster

- M101 (galaxy)

You may struggle a little with 1m exposures but if you stack plenty it should give you something to work with. I find with good polar alignment I can get 2mins unguided with the SmartEq. If Light pollution is the issue you can get a light pollution reduction filter on FLO for £30. 

Also have a look at the Dstring FOV calculator, you can put in your scope and camera combination and see what all messier and a few other objects will look like in terms of image scale. http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm 

Ed

Archived