NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Optics VX10L f/6.3

Mike73

This isnt meant as any kind of review but more of just a couple pics with my initial thoughts on my new OOUK VX10L.....

My main reason for buying this is to use at home where I concentrate mainly on the moon, planets and some brighter DSO's so with this in mind I ordered the VX10L with 1/10thPv primary and secondary with HiLux coatings.

Its 10" at f/6.3 which gives it s focal length of 1600mm so its quite long compared with the standard f/4.8 dobs of the same aperture.

I also plan on using it with a EQ platform which will increase the height of the EP by another 100mm. I do like to observe seated and this height would take you over the standard observing chair height but I use something very similar to a Catsperch Pro so no problem there but without the platform a standard chair would be fine.

The Pro's

First of all I gotta say that I'm really impressed with the OOUK dob mount, silky smooth in both altitude and azimuth bearings and the base feels rock solid to move around.
The focuser is also very smooth, I'd say that its on a par with my Moonlite thats on my 16".
The total weight is also very light which helps when moving around such a long OTA.
Obviously the main reason why I wanted an OO scope was for its optics but I've always stood up for the quality of Chinese scope so it will be intyeresting to so just how much difference there actually is!
The Cons (more niggles than bad points TBH)
I mentioned how smooth the focuser was which is great but for me its let down by having three thumbscrews for the 2" adapter. Why on earth do you need three thumbscrews to fiddle about with when you want to change EP's? I can put a 2" sight tube in and tighten just one screw and it hardly moves (which is a plus point because thats exactly what I'm going to do!). It just seems pointless though, maybe its for imagers?
The supplied lead for the cooling fan has crocodile clips instead of a cigarette adapter, no real problem as I'II just snip them off and put a cigarette adapter on but it would of been nice to have had that option when it was ordered.
Looks like first light will have to wait, I have clear skies forecast but a real early start for work so maybe tomorrow night.
So I'm very happy with my new VX10L, the actual build and mechanics have exceeded my expectations to be honest, lets hope the views do the same! :)

post-20821-0-49150800-1397569595_thumb.j

post-20821-0-63332400-1397569604_thumb.j

very nice Mike after I get all my desired EP's I would like something similar look forward to your first light :)

Yeah I'm pretty happy Dan, my Sumerian will now be only used at dark site trips and the OOUK is perfect for home. I'm skint now for a couple months though!! :)

lovely Mike! I also have three thumbs on my baader steeltrack - same focuser I gather. I just leave the top two as they are and loosen the bottom one. works fine for me too.

that said, if that's the only grumble....... :grin:

I dont know why but for some reason I had painted a picture in my head that OO scopes were all about optics and the actual mechanics of the scope came second but I'm pleasantly surprised with what I've seen now.

I also like the fact the give you two free frisbee's (end caps) so one of those will be hacked into shape as a solar mask. :)

Very nice indeed Mike. They make a fine pair :-)

Wish I could say the same about my dob base, rough as a.... very rough thing :-(

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theyve never looked to clever to me but mine really is very solid and the alt/azi movements are probably better than my Sumerian which will be nice for high power stuff.

Its a tiny bit top heavy though but thats not a problem with the friction break but I'd say thats a necessity with this scope.

Its the flexibiity of a dob that I think I missed Mark, for the moon and planets the 180 was very good but for me at least it struggled on anything else. The 180 was also mounted on a HEQ5 which I loved but missed way too many 50/50 nights in the winter because I couldnt be bothered to set up ( I've found I really need some kind of tracking for sketching planets and moon).

The OO will give me an extra 3" of aperture on the 180 with a smaller 20% CO so I'm hoping this will beat the 180.

Lovely looking scope Mike  :smiley:

It's proportions are very similar to my 12" F/5.3 dob and my staple observing diet with that is pretty much the same too. 

It seems that OO have upped their game on the mechanicals, which is good. 

Its the flexibiity of a dob that I think I missed Mark, for the moon and planets the 180 was very good but for me at least it struggled on anything else. The 180 was also mounted on a HEQ5 which I loved but missed way too many 50/50 nights in the winter because I couldnt be bothered to set up ( I've found I really need some kind of tracking for sketching planets and moon).

The OO will give me an extra 3" of aperture on the 180 with a smaller 20% CO so I'm hoping this will beat the 180.

Mike I only ever use my 180 Mak/Cass on the Planets and Moon and I prefer my 6" f5 Reflector for general viewing on bright DSOs. I recently had an observing session with John at SGL9 and really liked his 12" Orion - the view of Jupiter and the GRS was excellent.

I am very tempted to upgrade my 10" Dob to an Orion scope - I will be interested in your review over the coming weeks.

Archived