Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can't cope with failure....

Caz

...its true, I don't attempt half I should because if I don't get it right first time, or at least near perfect, I loose interest, its a hindrance, I've always been the same, I don't like myself for it either.... :x Now for you pessimists out there, don't think for one minute I'm giving up on astronomy, you couldn't be more wrong, I'm loving my new found distraction, almost concerned that I'm becoming an armchair astronomer with all this cloud.... :lol:

When I'm out with the scope, I'm always observing the easy targets, Orion, Saturn, Mars etc, I know theres more up there, but I won't trust my own ability, I don't want to feel like I shall never find these objects. I don't think I'm pushing myself enough, theres no one around to guide, and give advice. So I either join a club, or I quit striving for perfection, I have to decide.... :lol:

So, how many nights have you had this scope? There's nothing wrong with going after the easy targets; just add a couple of hard ones each time. Let's see, youre 34, if you do this until you're 84, and average 100 observing nights a year, at two new objects each time, you'll have seen, um, LOTS of stuff before you give up. You don't have to see it all tonight, eh?

Or you could follow my old Pappy's rule: if at first you don't succeed, try something else.... :lol:

Caz,

One idea might be to set yourself a couple of new objects to find everytime you go out. Spend some of the session looking for them and the rest of the session enjoying the easy to find objects. Best of both worlds.

Also Caz when the Moon is anywhere near full it severley restricts the number of targets you can try for anyway. A lot of people just spend such nights looking at the "biggies", hence grab'n'go setups!

Gaz

Caz, Gaz is exactly right. I spent the first oh, 7 months looking at M42, because I couldn't find anything else! When it disappeared in the spring, I was forced to look for something else. Once I found something else, one thing led to another and...presto! I started with a poster of the Messier objects, checking them off as the seasons changed. Eventually, I logged them all.

It's like anything else. You do what's easiest, until forced from your comfort zone. Soon, confidence builds and your comfort zone expands. Next thing you know, you've seen all 110 Messier objects and are starting on the Herschel 400.

If you pick two or three new targets try to make sure at least one of them an open cluster or a globular cluster, they are not so dependent on good seeing and are usually easier to spot.

If you picked three nebulae or three galaxies you could fail to spot them all just because the seeing wasn't up to it that night.

Gaz

Caz , if you can get a Toucam soon , you will be amazed that even with the full moon you will be able to view all the area easily on the puter screen just have to twiddle the knobs a bit and hey presto lots to see , so for a low cost outlay you can have a great time , And we have all been there ya know i packed up for 6 months, and what did i buy ,YOU GOT IT a Toucam pro 2 ,from that day i have not looked back , but for sure its a frustrating hobby at times , like my blumming Saturn LOL , it aint easy as we all know , but we keep trying .

Rock on

Rog :sunny:

Caz,

I gave up stargazing when I was 16 because I couldn't find the andromeda nebula . When I first saw it last month the high lasted for days. A couple of weeks ago I spent a couple of hours trying to find that double galaxy in ursa major. I finally saw a smudge in the binos and was about to move in for the kill when the clouds came over. Its now gotten personal but I will get em :lol:

Finding the elusive little rascals seems to be all part of the fun.

Alternatively in the words of Homer Simpson, "Aim low son, then you can never fail".

Could the guys in the know come up with 5 targets for the month. Where to go after saturn, mars the moon and M42

Martin

Could the guys in the know come up with 5 targets for the month. Where to go after saturn, mars the moon and M42

Martin

There is the Constellation of the Month section, don't forget. We have chosen Orion, Auriga and Leo as the constellations for discussion.

So, here is a challenge:

1) Can you identify the Constellation completely? If not, your 1st task is to learn them.

2) Identify 2 objects from each constellation (M42 is NOT allowed!!) and post them in the COTM section

3) Once you have completed yours, start on someone else's!

How does that sound?

Daz

There is the Constellation of the Month section, don't forget. We have chosen Orion, Auriga and Leo as the constellations for discussion.

So, here is a challenge:

1) Can you identify the Constellation completely? If not, your 1st task is to learn them.

2) Identify 2 objects from each constellation (M42 is NOT allowed!!) and post them in the COTM section

How does that sound?

Daz

So, here is a challenge:

How does that sound?

Brill :lol: :lol: I'm on the case. Just give me CLEAR SKIES. CLEAR SKIES PLEEEASE!!!!

Martin

Daz

don't be so hard on your self, if its there i will look at orion neb all night! p.s a solar filter increases your chance of seeing something! also Jupiter looks great, early morning needed i know, but Ive had 3 clear views this week follwed by the rest of the day/night with full cloud cover! orion

Well, seems like you have all the help you need! But for what it's worth hers my ten penneth. Every person in this forum who isn't in the same situation now HAS been there at some point. I remember when I thought the same as you but just hang in there mate you will crack it, it does get easier. Do give the local society a look, believe me there will be plenty of peeps willing to help you to locate these elusive deep sky objects and as I said a while a go it is worth it so don't lose heart :nono: persevere. Soon you will be finding 12th magnitude galaxies with ease just stick with it.

Twink,

Give it time, I was like you this time last year, all I had was a little ETX 70 and enthusiasm. I got frustrated every night when I couldn't even find things with GOTO!!

A year later, I'm a little better (Not much though!!) I have masses of enthusiasm and loads of friends on this forum who are available 27/7 for advice/chat and help. You have a superb scope and the ability.

Just give it time to learn the basics and learn one area of the sky at a time.

The Telrad can be pricey (£50 plus) but a simpler 1x red-dot finder can be easily obtained at half the price. Greg (Phattire) uses one and swears by it.

I don't use the 8X30 finder, I use a lazer point finder instead, much easier to look in an area of sky.

I'll get my coat!!

Greg

Err....The other thing I do is to use the cloudy nights to plan my future observing sessions.

If the moon's around I concentrate on the planets, if it's a good dark sky I'll go for the Nebula's I'll spend hours learning an area of the sky from a chart or Starry Night. It's no substitute for the real thing though.

That's just me!!!

I'm one of these weird people who have to plan everything and have structure.

The wife gave me a hard time the other night because I spent 6 hours on the computer learning about imaging....... I still didn't get it right!! And got very, very frustrated.Thats astronomy it's not only a hobby it's a science.

Anyone seen my hat.......

Greg

Archived