NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The new streelights...

emadmoussa

The trend towards replacing street lighting to LED is of course a good thing. Yet not necessarily if you are trying to observe within the middle of it all - unless understandably a planetary / lunar observer. However where I would consider it interesting, is whether or not and by how much it just might in the long term, reduce the impact of a Town or City light dome as seen from afar from a dark sky location.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering, seeing that LED lights are quite efficient and bright, and even though they might be directed downwards,  can there be excessive reflection back upwards? 

Also, have I heard right, that as we know the old sodium lights can be filtered out to some degree, the LED light is not so easy to have an effective filter for?

I was wondering, seeing that LED lights are quite efficient and bright, and even though they might be directed downwards, can there be excessive reflection back upwards?

Also, have I heard right, that as we know the old sodium lights can be filtered out to some degree, the LED light is not so easy to have an effective filter for?

With these lights if there is a white surface underneath them such as snow, there will be reflection upwards. And like you say you cannot filter them unfortunately. The good thing I noticed is that by putting my hand against the bulb the sky around It is reasonable...that is why I'm thinking a shield or screen might help.

Why would I change my interest? Galaxies are what seek mostly...I guess if the light turns out to be bad..I will start a bugging war with the council like I did last year: D

I thought you said the light was keeping you from sleeping.......... :evil:

Yep I think that there is a slight improvement in the sky quality as sodium street lights are converted to LED. From my 'urban' observing location close to home the lighting in this vicinity is entirely now LED. Although I feel that the light is more focused and projected downwards, some still create a sideways glare. From my home skies I use my 8" scope always with a dew shield attached which helps, though it is not so easy to prevent some glare from reaching my eyes. 

I think you do have to adjust to your local circumstances or get your scope under skies which favour what you want to observe.

I love viewing galaxies and faint deep sky objects but my back garden, where I do 98% of my observing, is affected by some light pollution both of the distant sort, the glow of Bristol to the NE and Newport / Cardiff to the SW and more localised with a couple of streetlights and neighbours that I get on well with but do produce some light from their houses from time to time.

Given the above, most of my observing is of the planets, the Moon, binary stars and the brighter deep sky objects. My scopes support these targets and I'm still enjoying the hobby despite the fainter targets not being accessible very often. 

Moving to suit my hobby is not practical or fair to my family because we like where we live. So I've adjusted my viewing to suit what is available. 

Another good point to make is there a only half the number of new lights in comparison to the older style sodium lights and is the main the reason why they are taller, the increase in their height gives a greater area of light coverage on the floor.

If only...

The reality for me in my town is almost 2 for every old 1 style lamp so a lot more now than before.

From home I can see 4 new additional lamps.

I have just had my sodium light changed for an LED:- see photos for a comparison:-

Sodium

post-11604-0-09935200-1396816667_thumb.j

LED

post-11604-0-20688500-1396816767_thumb.j

I saw this as an improvement until I realised that the lamp post was now about 4 ft taller and the canvas screen I had created was not high enough and that the bright downward glow reflected up from my balcony's floor!!

No alternative but to have more canvas added!! - I now have to look at objects at slightly higher altitudes but I think that the light pollution appears to be less.

See photo below of the screening on the south facing balcony:-

post-11604-0-84125600-1396817053_thumb.j

I take on board the need to drive to dark sites but I so enjoy the cup of hot chocolate my wife brings out to me at 10.00pm!!

I think they've just been changing the lamp head around here and not putting in more or higher. given that Ealing have said they're changing all of them, and there's in excess of 25,000 I don't think they could afford to do anything more.

Of course, given London's overall LP, I'm not sure it will have any effect.

As a matter of fact I had another look and with low clouds around I can see the orangish reflection on the clouds is noticeably less. Even the sorrounding trees are pitch black on top of the lights instead of orange leaves.

Im hoping my nearby street light which hasn't been replaced yet will not as intrusive, or otherwise radical solutions will have to be considered.

Archived