NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2 more bgo,s for collection

faulksy

I've never tried Ortho's.

How do you find them for comfort when used next to your Delos Mike? From the little I know about them they have less eye relief and a smaller FoV but the quality is almost as good as the Delos is that right?

I have a Powermate and TV barlow to experiment with the VX10L, if I dont get on with those maybe Ortho's will be the way forward... 

Mike,

Nice one the 5mm is one I would like but if I come over may have to take a Hutech, not that there is a great deal wrong in that.

Other Mike,

I have the BGO 6mm and a 6mm Delos, I also have a 6mm Ethos and with its 15mm ER it is much easier to use than the BGO. BGO to Delos I did a review on some time back and there is so little in the quality difference, I'm sure some would not notice. I think many would prefer the Delos but it is a good deal more expensive.

I am sure I am right in saying that John settled for the Pentax XW's of 3.5mm and 5mm for probably the same reason. I have the 5mm XW and it's the only eyepiece I have that has split Antares, I was using the 6mm with it at the same time and saw nothing but there was of course a power difference in my M/N 190mm of X40.

Delos are very nice to use as are XW's.

Alan

i dont find any issues with the orthos at all mike,as soon as you get your eye in the right position there fine. views are probably better tan the great delos, but harder work, you will also have to make sure your finder is spot on as well, cant wait to try these out

Mike,

Nice one the 5mm is one I would like but if I come over may have to take a Hutech, not that there is a great deal wrong in that.

Other Mike,

I have the BGO 6mm and a 6mm Delos, I also have a 6mm Ethos and with its 15mm ER it is much easier to use than the BGO. BGO to Delos I did a review on some time back and there is so little in the quality difference, I'm sure some would not notice. I think many would prefer the Delos but it is a good deal more expensive.

I am sure I am right in saying that John settled for the Pentax XW's of 3.5mm and 5mm for probably the same reason. I have the 5mm XW and it's the only eyepiece I have that has split Antares, I was using the 6mm with it at the same time and saw nothing but there was of course a power difference in my M/N 190mm of X40.

Delos are very nice to use as are XW's.

Alan

hope fully i can try out the 6mm bgo tonight and compare it to the delos, hope to have a go with my new 26mm as well :grin:

Very nice Mike. I drew a line at the 6mm due to the eye relief. Will be interesting to see how you get on with it. V jealous of your 12.5mm, I sold mine, and now have a Hutech looking rather out of place in my Ortho/Plossl case!

te6ususa.jpg

I've been using the Orthos a lot more recently and have really enjoyed the views, particularly in the Vixen, they just seem to suit it somehow.

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice Mike. I drew a line at the 6mm due to the eye relief. Will be interesting to see how you get on with it. V jealous of your 12.5mm, I sold mine, and now have a Hutech looking rather out of place in my Ortho/Plossl case!

te6ususa.jpg

I've been using the Orthos a lot more recently and have really enjoyed the views, particularly in the Vixen, they just seem to suit it somehow.

Cheers,

Stu

the hutech does spoil your set stu :tongue: but opticaly the same, hope to get a 7mm soon

Thanks Mike!

I'm pleased to say it doesn't bother me in the slightest.......not ever......I don't lie awake thinking about it at all....honest!

OCD? Moi? Nooooo ;-)

Thanks Alan / Mike

I just remembered that I have tried Orthos, I had a couple BGO's for my binoviewers which were really nice but I think I do enjoy decent eye relief hence my love of Delos so maybe Orthos arent for me? (i'm thinking from 12mm to 6mm).

I could go for more Delos and XW's but that could work out pricey so I've also been looking at the Zeiss zoom which looks like it ticks the boxes and gets some very good reviews on CN.

Anyway.....Mike those green and blacks dont half look hot in a case!  :grin:

Edit...and yours Stu. :)

i dont find any issues with the orthos at all mike,as soon as you get your eye in the right position there fine. views are probably better tan the great delos, but harder work, you will also have to make sure your finder is spot on as well, cant wait to try these out

Great on planetaries Nebs too these BGOs or any faint stuff for that matter. I was amazed how well the eskimo showed up in the 5mm even in my 5 inch scope from my light polluted sky at home recently where such targets, though bright, are more challenging in the smaller scope from home. I tried it with a 8mm BST plus my cheap barlow to give around 5mm also but the target certainly wans't as clear.

These things sure let through some light with nice contrast to boot :smiley:

Thanks Alan / Mike

I just remembered that I have tried Orthos, I had a couple BGO's for my binoviewers which were really nice but I think I do enjoy decent eye relief hence my love of Delos so maybe Orthos arent for me? (i'm thinking from 12mm to 6mm).

I could go for more Delos and XW's but that could work out pricey so I've also been looking at the Zeiss zoom which looks like it ticks the boxes and gets some very good reviews on CN.

Anyway.....Mike those green and blacks dont half look hot in a case! :grin:

Mike, I believe there is a Leica Zoom waiting for me at home! It is on evaluation from its very kind owner, but providing it lives up to expectations I shall buy it and shift on eps in the same range to pay for it!

Also looking at the Baader VIP Barlow or even a Zeiss Abbe Barlow of I can find one.

Clear spell due tonight so will put the Vixen out and try it out.

Stu

Mike, this is getting a tad confusing, can I call you Bruce?

A Zeiss zoom is as cheap as chips then?

I have 6mm, 7mm 9mm and 12.5mm mainly BGO's but the latter is Huteck, I find the 9mm ans 12.5mm rather easy.

Faulksy Mike, very best wishes for weather to-night, I am clear but am still rather ill with flu or something so am sitting watching Dancing on Ice, thats how ill I am. My wife knows the Girl ( Maria) who won it with Ray Quinn

Alan

Mike, I believe there is a Leica Zoom waiting for me at home! It is on evaluation from its very kind owner, but providing it lives up to expectations I shall buy it and shift on eps in the same range to pay for it!

You lucky man!

I just dont think Leica has enough range for me hence looking at the Zeiss. The trade off for the Zeiss though is smaller FoV at the low power end but I can deal with that.

Going back to Orthos, I was interested to see this post on Faint Fuzzies, these guys use monster dobs in real dark skies and still rate Ortho's over the likes of Delos and Ethos!

I have 6mm, 7mm 9mm and 12.5mm mainly BGO's but the latter is Huteck, I find the 9mm ans 12.5mm rather easy.

Faulksy Mike, very best wishes for weather to-night, I am clear but am still rather ill with flu or something so am sitting watching Dancing on Ice, thats how ill I am. My wife knows the Girl ( Maria) who won it with Ray Quinn

Alan

I've been called alot worse than Bruce in my time Alan so yeah Bruce is fine with me! :)

The Zeiss isnt cheap, about 699€ I believe, but thats alot cheaper than buying Delos/XW's x3.

You lucky man!

I just dont think Leica has enough range for me hence looking at the Zeiss. The trade off for the Zeiss though is smaller FoV at the low power end but I can deal with that.

Going back to Orthos, I was interested to see this post on Faint Fuzzies, these guys use monster dobs in real dark skies and still rate Ortho's over the likes of Delos and Ethos!

Yes, I think it's all about the light transmission in the Orthos, the 18mm has a good reputation as a dso ep so that doesn't surprise me.

Without hijacking the thread Amy more, could you PM me a link for the Zeiss zoom?

Cheers,

Stu

Also looking at the Baader VIP Barlow or even a Zeiss Abbe Barlow of I can find one.

Clear spell due tonight so will put the Vixen out and try it out.

Stu

stu, if you shift on your 7mm bgo, give me a shout

Alan

you must be ill alan if your watching dancing on ice, saying that there is some cute chicks on there :grin:

You lucky man!

Going back to Orthos, I was interested to see this post on Faint Fuzzies, these guys use monster dobs in real dark skies and still rate Ortho's over the likes of Delos and Ethos!

thats how versitile they are mike, if we meet up earlyer at dob fest you can try them out :smiley:

Yes, I think it's all about the light transmission in the Orthos, the 18mm has a good reputation as a dso ep so that doesn't surprise me.

Without hijacking the thread Amy more, could you PM me a link for the Zeiss zoom?

Cheers,

Stu

your not highjacking stu, no problems mate

Mike,

I am not going to suggest that 699 Euros is cheap but that is less than I thought it may be, the Lieca with barlow comes out at around 1000Eu and as you say does not have the range.

Sounds a good buy to me as Delos are 300 euros each from TS in Germany.

Stu,

John has said many times how people in the States use massive, 24 inch plus dobs with orthos, and prefer them to Delos. Well I guess the chance of ever putting that to the test is a bit limited to say the lesat, but can you imagine trying this if the scope was unguided. I like orthos which is something I did not think I would say when I took the plunge 18 months back, but for long term viewing give me Delos of XW every time.

Alan.

Archived