NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Flextube 350P dimensions? Other questions...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely...the only time I felt I needed some motorized system is when I used high mag on planets. Then again, I'm often a DSO observer...

Speaking of Telrad, having used a Rigel with my 12"..I'm starting to think apart from the weight factor, the Telrad was a bit better.

Absolutely...the only time I felt I needed some motorized system is when I used high mag on planets. Then again, I'm often a DSO observer...

Speaking of Telrad, having used a Rigel with my 12"..I'm starting to think apart from the weight factor, the Telrad was a bit better.

the base plate only just fits on the upper truss on the flexi :tongue: they should really cut them in half then it would be perfect....MINI TELRADS :D

the base plate only just fits on the upper truss on the flexi :tongue: they should really cut them in half then it would be perfect....MINI TELRADS :D

Like so

795978-DSCF2110.jpg

Some have done just that, there are some threads floating around on the cut in half mod with a battery pack on the side.  Why not make them like that in the first place I am sure they'd sell even more perhaps :smiley:

if a focuser has thumbscrews, I just replace the bolt with a plastic/nylon thumbscrew of suitable length. for visual this is fine even for heavy eyepieces. also, a thumbscrew fitting is less likely to catch the undercut on eyepieces which can make you a) drop the thing or B) create a mark on the nosepiece (something you are trying to avoid of course.

Like so

795978-DSCF2110.jpg

Some have done just that, there are some threads floating around on the cut in half mod with a battery pack on the side.  Why not make them like that in the first place I am sure they'd sell even more perhaps :smiley:

I like that. Haven't used my telrad for a while as I am not sure where to put it on the upper cage - lean over too much and one falls off the steps...  :D

I like that. Haven't used my telrad for a while as I am not sure where to put it on the upper cage - lean over too much and one falls off the steps...  :D

Thinking about it, can't you put it on the bottom half of the scope? You might need to crouch, but the result will be almost the same. Ok, radical idea...and perhaps not very good..so I'll shut up! :D

Emad

I find it ok to handle on my own. I've just taken it apart to ship to SGL 9 and lifted the the OTA off ok. The base comes apart and assembles very easily and quickly.

Normally though I leave it assembled on a sack trolley and trundle it into position. The trolley makes the eyepiece a bit higher and when viewing near the zenith I use a cheap plastic stool to stand on - see the recent thread on viewing Jupiter in the daytime (sorry - can anyone enlighten me on how to add a link to another thread? This aged brain has not yet worked it out!)

For low level viewing my trusty ironing stool still fits the bill

When I bought it I lifted all the constituent parts out of car with no problem although it's perhaps not something to do every day!

Kerry

Emad

I find it ok to handle on my own. I've just taken it apart to ship to SGL 9 and lifted the the OTA off ok. The base comes apart and assembles very easily and quickly.

Normally though I leave it assembled on a sack trolley and trundle it into position. The trolley makes the eyepiece a bit higher and when viewing near the zenith I use a cheap plastic stool to stand on - see the recent thread on viewing Jupiter in the daytime (sorry - can anyone enlighten me on how to add a link to another thread? This aged brain has not yet worked it out!)

For low level viewing my trusty ironing stool still fits the bill

When I bought it I lifted all the constituent parts out of car with no problem although it's perhaps not something to do every day!

Kerry

That's re-assuring, Kerry. How did you find the views?

Thanks Daniel!

Emad - if I could do links I would refer you to the thread I started on my first 2 weeks with the Dob. I found that it is not dramatically different to the 925 in that the seeing and LP become the limiting factors. But the ease of set up is a real advantage

Thanks Daniel!

Emad - if I could do links I would refer you to the thread I started on my first 2 weeks with the Dob. I found that it is not dramatically different to the 925 in that the seeing and LP become the limiting factors. But the ease of set up is a real advantage

Just copy the url on top of the browser and paste it here.

Oh yes. I read this one I even left a comment there :)

So you did!

I have not yet compared the SCT and the Dob side by side in the same conditions. I was hoping to do this at SGL9 but if the weather does not permit it there I will do it at home one day soon and will report on the results.

I'm a little way from Hampshire but you would be welcome anytime to visit and try it for weight etc.

Thinking about it, can't you put it on the bottom half of the scope? You might need to crouch, but the result will be almost the same. Ok, radical idea...and perhaps not very good..so I'll shut up! :D

Emad, did anyone tell you that you are a genius? Great idea! :)  

So you did!

I have not yet compared the SCT and the Dob side by side in the same conditions. I was hoping to do this at SGL9 but if the weather does not permit it there I will do it at home one day soon and will report on the results.

I'm a little way from Hampshire but you would be welcome anytime to visit and try it for weight etc.

Based on memory my C11 didn't stand a chance in front of the my late 12" Dob. There's definitely in the level brightness and contrast...Reflectors have a brighter and wider field of view.

are you sure it was 350p goto???

i have this model and I can lift the tube assambly on my own on and off the base.Tube assambly is exactly the same weight on both models,its only the base what is stupendlously heavy in go to. i am more convinced you are talking about the 400P here.

It was definitely a 14" 350P and the tube was substantially heavier. Getting it in and out of his car was a careful operation!

It was brand new so was being handled carefully, but even so. It made me glad I'd stopped the aperture fever at the 300P ;)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

It was definitely a 14" 350P and the tube was substantially heavier. Getting it in and out of his car was a careful operation!

It was brand new so was being handled carefully, but even so. It made me glad I'd stopped the aperture fever at the 300P ;)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I had a good look at the 14" Flextube last summer and I'd not fancy lugging it around myself. I guess though that everyone has different levels of what is acceptable to them. 

Archived