NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Flextube 350P dimensions? Other questions...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a good look at the 14" Flextube last summer and I'd not fancy lugging it around myself. I guess though that everyone has different levels of what is acceptable to them. 

My gut feeling having looked at the specs and weights for regular use, for the flexi models would be the 12 inch model for lugging around easily just about, so it is not something I might end up leaving it in the house/shed that more often and say, I'll just grab the heritage 5 inch instead :D 

I suppose it isn't  just the size, it is cooling as well and our variable weather of late, I've really learned to appreciate the ease with which the 10 inch is setup  and ready to go, even with that the 5 inch still gets regular use in the backyard now that I've some more decent eyepieces to enjoy it with even more. :smiley: For  an all round performance that a 10 - 12 is so convenient and hard to beat I reckon, good enough for lots and a good sweet spot for planets. 

As much as I'd love to have a big Dob like a 16 inch some day, I think if it is going to be big and not used that often it may as well be BIG as long as it can be transported, hence a truss model of sorts.   I will never part with the 10 inch only if it means it will be upgraded/replaced with another better one some stage, and I may make it a 12 inch when that comes.  A high grade optics VX10L or the VX12L is still the dream scope on paper for me.

Out of curiosity, obviously the Mrs wont approve a large beast sitting in the lounge, so does anybody use a booth shed to store their big dobs?

Many people buy sheds to store their scopes in and have no problems.

Out of curiosity, obviously the Mrs wont approve a large beast sitting in the lounge, so does anybody use a booth shed to store their big dobs?

my 12" just lives in the garage. Obviously I uprated the door locks to prevent any tinkers getting at it, but it sits in there permanently with a bbq cover draped over the top and has been fine.

Also means no cool down time, as its always the same temperature as the outside.

Only issue I have found so far is that the base gathers a lot of dust from being in a dirty and well used garage - but nothing a regular wipe down doesnt sort, and the battery powering the tracking (not goto!) tends to live a hard life being so cold all the time and needs regular charging.

my 12" just lives in the garage. Obviously I uprated the door locks to prevent any tinkers getting at it, but it sits in there permanently with a bbq cover draped over the top and has been fine.

Also means no cool down time, as its always the same temperature as the outside.

Only issue I have found so far is that the base gathers a lot of dust from being in a dirty and well used garage - but nothing a regular wipe down doesnt sort, and the battery powering the tracking (not goto!) tends to live a hard life being so cold all the time and needs regular charging.

Even in the house, my 10" and 12" bases usually collected dust quite often. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about security that much...mainly because I live in a relatively safe area (I used to leave my NEQ6 out for days sometimes) and because it's too heavy and big to just disappear with it. You can't even drive it and be gone like a car!  Plus I'll set up an alarm system if I had any doubts...just for peace of mind sake.

Archived