Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Flextube 350P dimensions? Other questions...

Hi,

How high is the eyepiece exactly from the ground in cm (scope mounted and fully extended)?

How heavy is the tube? I understand it's about 23Kg...in practical terms how movable is that as far as awkward positions and maneuvering are concerned? :D

And how long does it take to assemble and disassemble the base?

Is the focuser OK? Thumbscrews, not compression rings? Kinda fussy about focusers...sorry!

Sorry, many questions I know...I just saw the scope only in pictures and it doesn't look much larger than it's 12" brother. Just testing the water...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear,another case of aperture fever

Not quite...I'm just replenishing my kit in the coming few months and thought it's worth a shot since I'm buying again go for a bigger aperture. OK...somehow aperture fever :D

Thanks! Useful reviews...

I'm not particularly worried about the base, it'll probably live outside in the shed (can't be bothered assembling and disassembling). As long as the eyepiece is reachable at highest perching stool setting and the tube is manageable...then it should be OK. :)

I always wondered though, with Skywatcher there's about 5cm + clear space underneath the tube. They could probably lower the height of the alt hooks by 3-4 cm allowing the eyepiece to be lower without affecting the movement.

TBH it was ok if i ever had to revert back to a stock focuser i would use the howie glatter parrlizer in the focuser or at least upgrade it so it take compression rings rather than the screw

Sure thing. I don't think I could live with thumb screws...I don't understand why they still make them..!

but saying that the howie glatter i use has one brass thumb screw holding in the EP but its in a different league quality wise

Sure thing. I don't think I could live with thumb screws...I don't understand why they still make them..!

It boils down to cost, would you be willing to pay £...x more for a compression fitting, would someone else? Would a beginner?

I'd say go for it, and get an upgraded focuser if you can't live with the standard one :).

The 350P is much bigger than a 300P. We had the two side by side at a meeting. 2" doesn't sound much, but the 350P made my 300P look small. The tube cannot be safely lifted onto the base by one person. Although the base comes apart, the main disc is still almost unmanageably heavy. It needed a step to see Jupiter.

The 350P owner sold it the very next day.

I am talking about the GOTO versions here.

emad,

built quality of the new Skywatchers are day and night in comparison to what they where doing year or 2 years ago.it is rock solid and rock solid heavy :D

if the manual versions base might be lifted as one piece then you can forget about that on Go-to version.I have been doing weightlifting on amateur level,but i will not attempt to do that on Go-to base what i have.

I am 5ft9 and i dont need anything to reach Ep at zenith.

original focuser is OK to use,but the knobs are so close to base that you cant slip your fingers under the knob.

best thing for you will be to find mines and Dans reviews we did on this scope under members equipment reviews.

other than that,i cant say anything bad about this scope.it is a cracking piece of equipment and as Dan has put in is signature:it is a galaxy eating machine as i have seen so much things with this scope what i never saw in my 10" dob.

The 350P is much bigger than a 300P. We had the two side by side at a meeting. 2" doesn't sound much, but the 350P made my 300P look small. The tube cannot be safely lifted onto the base by one person. Although the base comes apart, the main disc is still almost unmanageably heavy. It needed a step to see Jupiter.

The 350P owner sold it the very next day.

I am talking about the GOTO versions here.

are you sure it was 350p goto???

i have this model and I can lift the tube assambly on my own on and off the base.Tube assambly is exactly the same weight on both models,its only the base what is stupendlously heavy in go to. i am more convinced you are talking about the 400P here.

Cost and size put me off..mostly size really and height of eyepiece.

I understand...I have to use a small set of steps and have attached a RACI finder to make things easier. The real test is finding the more obscure targets which has been no problem for me.

As for cost...well I had a bit of help for a 'significant' birthday, otherwise I would never had been able to afford it. :)

Archived