Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 01/04 from Bembridge

SnakeyJ

Must be April Fool's day, as I went out to get the cats at 9pm and the sky was clear ;)   Not my best, but managed to shoot 4 LRGB runs of on Jupiter in fair seeing.   All captures taken around F18 or 3.5m in Firecapture with the QHY5L-IIM, Baader x2.25 barlow + extension:

Two quick processes..

First Run RGB vs LRGB:

post-26731-0-06054500-1396393357.png   post-26731-0-90784700-1396393349.png

Last Run RGB vs LRGB:

post-26731-0-31797900-1396393412.png   post-26731-0-73994900-1396393404.png

Nice to catch IO shadow and moon transits and see the GRS emerge, but shame the seeing trailed off and cloud intervened else I could have got the GRS and Ganymede transit.   The sky is now 90% clouded over, so little chance of any Mars or Saturn - then again I hadn't been expecting anything at all this week, so Jupiter was a nice treat :)

Nice images, there is certainly more detail in the LRGB compared to the RGB images.

Thanks James - I think the Lum makes up for the poor blue channel in these captures.   Happier with WJ in these, which (unusually for my data) seemed to do a fair job of the de-rotation of Io and its shadow!   Certainly not great, but was good to get something unexpected!

Well done Jake, I wondered if you were out last night.

I was too - 9pm until midnight (fighting the clouds).

I'll see what I managed to capture.

Caught rather by surprise and would have been out earlier if I'd known :)    It would be nice to have caught Jupiter higher/closer to the meridian, though the Jupiter season is almost over now!

Glad you managed to get out and will look forward to seeing the results later!

very set of Nice images,  the LRGB is particularly good! the moon shadow almost spoils it a little due to the miss-alignment of the RGB channels on it, but not much you can do about that though. you must be pleased to be getting out there with the way the weather has been again.

Thanks Richard and Pete - great feedback.

very set of Nice images,  the LRGB is particularly good! the moon shadow almost spoils it a little due to the miss-alignment of the RGB channels on it, but not much you can do about that though. you must be pleased to be getting out there with the way the weather has been again.

The moon and shadow transits are really difficult in WJ, and I think this is one of my best results on this - though the LRGB certainly accentuates the misalignment.    I'm sure the pro's must have a good post processing cheat for this, but not found any useful tips online other than what I'm doing.   Off disk it's much easier to fix the alignment manually, but on disk more of an issue.

Hoping I might get another go tonight if I'm lucky with conditions ;)

Thanks Richard and Pete - great feedback.

The moon and shadow transits are really difficult in WJ, and I think this is one of my best results on this - though the LRGB certainly accentuates the misalignment. I'm sure the pro's must have a good post processing cheat for this, but not found any useful tips online other than what I'm doing. Off disk it's much easier to fix the alignment manually, but on disk more of an issue.

Hoping I might get another go tonight if I'm lucky with conditions ;)

off disk like you say no problem, but pretty tricky in front of the planet. Not sure what could be done, some sort of layer maybe? Like you say one of the pro's will have an answer!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

off disk like you say no problem, but pretty tricky in front of the planet. Not sure what could be done, some sort of layer maybe? Like you say one of the pro's will have an answer!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thinking about this if you had a couple of reasonable images from a session, you could align the colour images by surface feature and use a mask to erase out the colour artefact - revealing a small area from the image below.   Quite a lot of trouble and a little bit of a cheat, but should work with good data and a little bit of time.

Thinking about this if you had a couple of reasonable images from a session, you could align the colour images by surface feature and use a mask to erase out the colour artefact - revealing a small area from the image below.   Quite a lot of trouble and a little bit of a cheat, but should work with good data and a little bit of time.

i have enough trouble with a standard RGB image, like you say a lot of trouble :smiley:

Archived