NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M101 - pinwheel galaxy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and please note - right lower corner we have NGC 5474.

Wikipedia:

NGC 5474 is a peculiar dwarf galaxy in the constellation Ursa Major. It is one of several companion galaxies of the Pinwheel Galaxy (M101), a grand-design spiral galaxy.[3][4] Among the Pinwheel Galaxy's companions, this galaxy is the closest to the Pinwheel Galaxy itself.[3] The gravitational interaction between NGC 5474 and the Pinwheel Galaxy have strongly distorted the galaxy. As a result, the disk is offset relative to the nucleus.[3][5] The star formation in this galaxy (as traced by hydrogen spectral line emission) is also offset from the nucleus.[5] NGC 5474 shows some signs of a spiral structure. As a result, this galaxy is often classified as a dwarf spiral galaxy, a relative rare group of dwarf galaxies.

Very nice russ, lots of detail. where do you find the time for 50+ images at 5 minutes. (and I know you probably binned some to.)

You posted it for opinions, so here goes,

My personal preference would be to tone down the saturation and increase the contrast in the galaxy and enhancing some of the galaxy colour.

To see where I am going have a look at this true colour image from wiki.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/Anttlers101.jpg/800px-Anttlers101.jpg 

Still a great image though, loving your little scope, so tempted!

Very nice russ, lots of detail. where do you find the time for 50+ images at 5 minutes. (and I know you probably binned some to.)

My personal preference would be to tone down the saturation and increase the contrast in the galaxy and enhancing some of the galaxy colour.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/Anttlers101.jpg/800px-Anttlers101.jpg 

Your preferred colour scheme is quite nice but the background in the linked image is just jet black, very heavily clipped.

A.G

Your preferred colour scheme is quite nice but the background in the linked image is just jet black, very heavily clipped.

A.G

You right about the background being dark. I suspect this is due to trying to hide noise. I am often guilty of doing the same thing.

Russ - Not sure,  but I think your image is a bit clipped on the background to.

It's btw not clipped - I've just chosen a curves layer that's too dark maybe.

Chris once said that 24 is the generally accepted darkness. I gotta check where I stand with that.

Just checked - I made a slight error - have blocked out my chosen background actually. Argh - too tired now. Will do it tomorrow.

I think with 24 you are marginal, when I do use PS I try to set it about 31 if the noise allows it but most of my processing now is done in either StarTools or Pixinsight.

Regards,

A.G

I think with 24 you are marginal, when I do use PS I try to set it about 31 if the noise allows it but most of my processing now is done in either StarTools or Pixinsight.

Regards,

A.G

31 huh? Will try. Don't think the noise will allow it. And denoised backgrounds, I don't know, are very not so nice. Mhm. It just needs a better camera. With a Ha background maybe. Gotta modify my camera first...

It's btw not clipped - I've just chosen a curves layer that's too dark maybe.

Chris once said that 24 is the generally accepted darkness. I gotta check where I stand with that.

Ollie, not Chris... Yaaaaawn...

i would agree with the saturation and increasing the contrast in the galaxy to enhance the colour.

i would agree about the saturation and increasing the contrast in the galaxy to enhance the galaxy colour

Archived