Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

150p Dob Eyepieces??

Sandraj

I have looked and looked and can't figure out which new eyepieces would be good for my Skywatcher Skyliner 150p Dob.

Although there are lots of threads with people asking about other types of telescopes, I can't find one specifically on my scope.

So could you please help me understand which would be good for me, I want to build up a collection, mid price range, I don't need glasses to view, I have seen that the BST and Celestron x cel lx are very popular, would they be good for my scope? what would be the lowest and highest mag it could comfortably handle?

If the f/5 150P then consider the 5mm and 8mm BST Starguider for the higher magnifications, Medium you can consider the 15mm and the 25mm for low power.

If it is the f/7 or similar variant, then the 8mm BST should be OK for as a single high power, then the 18mm and 25mm.

With the f/7 150P the 5mm is an option for when you have the right conditions and want to have a go. Will say it would not get al great deal of use, but should get some.

There are the Celestron X-Cels however as the BST's appear to fit well wih the 150P I have left them out, the X-Cels cost £15 more each.

The Vixen NPL eyepieces are supposed to be very good too and only £35.

If the BSTs are in budget, then probably you should look at the Maxvision eyepieces also, they're very good indeed.

In terms of magnification, then have you read Warthog's post on eyepieces?

Really, only you will decide, eventually, what's best for you, because there are so many variables. What do you want to see, and how dark is you site are two very good places to start though, because they'll determine how far you can or need to push the magnification.

Take your time and borrow if possible to determine what's best for you.

I have the same focal length 'scope as you, just to give you an idea of the range, but I'm not sure I'd go as high as 200x (6mm) just yet until you are certain that conditions at your site will take it.

Ronin's 8mm might be more like it to start with. And it's worth taking your time, because I picked up a very nice second hand 8mm TV plossl on here just recently.

Cheers

There should be plenty of threads about eyepieces for the Skyliner 200P. Your scope has the same focal length so any advice on magnifications will also apply to the 150P Dob.

As already mentioned, you will struggle to find better eyepieces than the BSTs and X-Cell LXs in that price bracket.

Hi, Sandraj.

Glad you started this thread 'cos I was about to do just that.

I have the same scope and felt the EPs that came with it should be 'upgraded'. I have read an awful lot on the site about EPs and have just about fried my brain.

I've already 'splashed out' on a Televue 8-24 zoom and I'm itching to field test it but the forecast is poor for some days/nights ahead! I'm hoping it will guide me (no pun) toward the EPs I will be likely to use most. I also have a Widescan III 30mm on the way which I hope will be good for deep sky viewing - when that's possible ...

I, too, have been looking at the Celestron XCel pieces and thought 25mm, 18mm and Barlow might cover all bases for now. That would be about my budget range, anyhow.

Please don't think I'm stealing your thread, I'm just keen to read what the gurus have to say about EPs for our scope.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Thank you everyone for your help and input, it means a lot to get some help, as its is so confusing.

I am fairly rural so it is usually quite dark here. I have had some great viewing with it already, only been out the back garden a handful of times and easily found the usual newbie look fors....Jupiter, seven sisters, Rigel, Betelgeuse and Orion Nebula was just fantastic, I am very pleased so far but feel like most people that I want to upgrade the eye pieces that came with it.

Floater, I don't think your stealing my thread at all, hope the info here will not only benefit us but other new people with the same scope as well.

Ronin, I don't know if it is an f5 or f7, the plate says 500/1200.

f/8.

It is focal length divided by mirror diameter so 1200/150 = 8, f/8.

Nice, easy to get along with scope.

Being f/8 an 8mm will give 150x (the mirror dia in magnification), that tends to be a good start point, so think about the 8mm BST.

For higher magnification I would suggest that the 5mm BST is too much.

Perhaps consider a 6mm like the William Optics Planetary.

The Celetron X-Cels come in 7mm and 9mm and if you didn't mind the extra cost eventually getting both would I think be a good decision.

As you can see eyepieces can be a can of worms,

do you mean 150/1200? this would make it f8 (1200 which is the focal length of the scope in mm divided by 150 which is the aperture (main mirror size) in mm)

my general advice would be

widest field - 32mm plossl = 37x

50x = 25mm approx

100x = 12mm approx

150x = 8mm approx

200x = 6mm approx

what you choose is down to budget. at about £50 - 60 each used I'd recommend build a small collection of televue plossls

32mm, 25mm, 11mm, 8mm and then maybe a barlow lens to allow barlowing the 11mm to get 5.5mm

Great stuff here, Sandra. Drinking it all in.

My only tuppence worth would be that the best viewing I've had was with the 25mm EP that came with my scope, also f8. The 10mm was too fuzzy to be worthwhile on even a very bright Jupiter.

From what I've picked up on other threads the higher magnification only magnified the poor 'seeing'. (My back garden, like yours, is not exactly the best ...)

Forgive the aside, but how do you insert that info at the bottom of your posts about equipment?

Go to your settings and edit the bit that says signature, you can put your setup in there. The way I do it is....at the top of every page, you will see your name and avatar with a pic of your dog in, the go to edit profile, then settings then signature, hope that makes sense.

Where are you Sandra? I've noticed you've posted in the South Wales section. If you were able to get to Blaenavon, there'd be a few 'scopes and plenty of EPs to try I'm sure.  :grin:

I am in Carmarthenshire but hope to come one month to meet you all and learn what I can, I think it would be great to be amongst experienced people for so many reasons.

The nice dark bit in the north of Carmarthenshire I hope?  :smiley:

I haven't made it yet either.  :grin: I'm down in the Vale of Glamorgan and Blaenavon is just that bit too far and life is just that bit too busy at the moment. But one of these days.....

The nice dark bit in the north of Carmarthenshire I hope?  :smiley:

I haven't made it yet either.  :grin: I'm down in the Vale of Glamorgan and Blaenavon is just that bit too far and life is just that bit too busy at the moment. But one of these days.....

Only about 2 or 3 miles from the black mountains, I live on the edge of a small village, there is only one street light that annoys me but that is switched off in the early hours, the other street lights are hidden from my view. Nothing else behind me just fields which is the direction I view.

Only about 2 or 3 miles from the black mountains, I live on the edge of a small village, there is only one street light that annoys me but that is switched off in the early hours, the other street lights are hidden from my view. Nothing else behind me just fields which is the direction I view.

Sounds splendid!

Hi, Sandra.

Don't know if you have looked at a thread I started about the weight of eyepieces but, if not, might be worth a look. John and, in particular, Robin have delivered a great input on eyepieces in general, and some specifics.

Best warn you though - it won't clear up anything for you!

Regards

Hi, Sandra.

Don't know if you have looked at a thread I started about the weight of eyepieces but, if not, might be worth a look. John and, in particular, Robin have delivered a great input on eyepieces in general, and some specifics.

Best warn you though - it won't clear up anything for you!

Regards

Hi Gordon, yes thanks been keeping an eye on it, minefield lol. 

Archived