NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Leave it out!

Hi guys,

Because of the brief occasional breaks in cloud, I'm thinking about leaving my scope outside so I can try and make use of these moments.

would this cause any issues if I left it outside covered in a tarpaulin or something?

Shouldn't do, I have my HEQ5 pro outside all the time.

It's been out now for over 2 years (-13c to +30c),no issues at all.

With one caveat, make sure it's secure in windy weather, I thought mine was ok, but it toppled over in the wind back in January. It's not a pretty sight seeing a mount on it's side. Luckily dew heater control took all the damage :)

Obviously make sure it can't be nicked either!

Cheers

Ant

I left my TAL out all last winter under a motorbike cover. I also used a large barbecue cover. As far as I can tell there was no obvious harm done, although I can see it could be regarded as serious scope abuse!

Advantages are set up and cooling down time.

They are expensive. I was thinking along the lines of a blue nylon sand bag and a couple of half-enders!

I would probably take the actual scope in and just leave mount aligned and set up.

Re the above: Would it be worth spraying the legs with WD40 as a bit of moisture protection

i think that would eventually evaporate..not sure though

maybe use a light oil on a rag and wipe tripod legs and the threads exposed on all bolts

I leave mine out as much as possible to catch any break I can
WD40 is a good idea on any exposed metal esp the adjustment bolts

when its not getting used I have a tent over the scope to give it some protection

Make sure that you take the cover off regularly to get plenty of air around the scope and periodicaly allow direct sunlight onto the corrector plate to prevent any fungal spots developing on the glass coatings , the LX in my obs suffers with this problem but a member on here recommended this and I've had no issues since . Take the usual precautions whilst pointing your scope towards the Sun though .

They are expensive. I was thinking along the lines of a blue nylon sand bag and a couple of half-enders!

I would probably take the actual scope in and just leave mount aligned and set up.

OK, but how much did your mount cost you? And the 'scope?

If you just leave the mount set up (Which I do) then you may be able to get away with a smaller cover, but no way would I use a nylon sand bag or a light tarp.

Re the above: Would it be worth spraying the legs with WD40 as a bit of moisture protection

I sprayed mine with silicone spray, esp the shiny bits. I uncovered it every time I could just to let it breathe.

Archived