Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Paramount MX Installation

BlueAstra

After using my EQ6 for a few years I decided to upgrade the mount. I wanted to increase the payload to give the option of a dual mount, and improve the pointing and tracking quality. The question was which one to go for?

I initially thought the EQ8 was the one, it seemed a natural upgrade from the EQ6, had a large payload, would interface seamlessly with EQMOD and my other equipment. However, too many times in this hobby have I bought stuff to find its not quite what it says on the tin, or has software issues, or is just plain poor quality, that as soon as some reports of trouble with the mount surfaced I began to reconsider. I guess the problem is quality control. It's mass produced in China, and is a real game changer, but you are relying on China quality control and as we have found in my company, that's not always a good thing. It wouldn't be so bad if each mount was checked on arrival in the UK, but I don't think that happens. There are a few companies with excellent after-sales service, but I'd rather avoid getting the problem in the first place. The problem may not be large, but I've been previously bitten, so I looked elsewhere.

Next up was the Mesu. This had glowing reports on payload and smoothness of tracking with the friction drive. The initial Argo drive system did not integrate well with remote operation, but the newer Scitech system looked very EQMOD like. This was the mount I was about to push the button on, but I thought I would wait until Astrfest to see what offers were about. My only doubts on the Mesu were learning the Scitech systems and the support offered with this system.

I then came across an ad on ABS for a Paramount MX a few days before Astrofest. I'd always looked at Paramount as an unattainable goal, since the price was always way above my budget. However, it ticked all the boxes with software and hardware, and was about as good a robotic mount that you could get. It was well supported in forums, and the SkyX software was a slick interface for the whole system.

The ABS price was a tad high, so again I thought wait for Astrofest, see what you can get. I spoke with Ian King there, and got a great offer, so decided to blow the budget and get a new MX! It arrived a couple of weeks later, and here is the unboxing:

IMG_1708_zps1e984bb9.jpg

IMG_1709_zpsbd084c3a.jpg

IMG_1710_zps3edfd37f.jpg

IMG_1711_zps6944ea3c.jpg

My original intention at Astrofest was to come away with a 7x2" filter wheel. Great deal again, this time from Bern, so when I got home it was into the Shedservatory for installation and commissioning:

IMG_0848_zps04ccdf53.jpg

IMG_0851_zps0e370149.jpg

IMG_0849_zps3f432d05.jpg

The system is now fully integrated, and everything is now controlled from SkyX. The mount also has some nice features for through mount cabling, and mounting plate USB and power connections. Spent a few nights working with the automated Tpoint routine for pointing modelling and polar alignment determination. The 7x2" FW has also transformed my imaging, no more having to take the FW apart to change filters from RGB to narrowband!

Not had many clear nights with the weather, but here is my first image, a work in progress. This is one night out of three, 4x600s S2/Ha/O3. Still to integrate the rest of the data, and get rid of the band at the bottom (new flats). The mount returned to dead centre every night!

Sh2-248RGBps1_zpsa25b9f0e.jpg

Hi,

Impressive indeed!

Can you comment regarding the installation process itself (e.g. Polar Alignment etc.)?

Best,

Romi

I already had an Altair-Astro Pier installed for the old EQ6. By amazing luck, it comes with mounting holes for a PMX already drilled! All I had to do was place the mount on the pier and get 4 long bolts to clamp it down. You can get a polar scope, but I didn't since it is Shedservatory based. Alignment is with the Tpoint model. You can do it manually or fully automatic. In automatic you generate a grid of star targets all over the sky down to your visible horizon (automatically if you have already defined the horizon). The scope then moves to each point, takes a photo, plate solves, works out the error then moves on to the next point. Fascinating to watch. From the errors it works out a pointing model which includes scope mechanical issues, meridinal flips, atmospheric refraction, etc. The Tpoint star alignment routine not only generates a pointing model, it also generates a polar alignment report. The Alt and Az adjusters are calibrated with vernier tic marks and the report will say something like Az 20 tics left, Alt 15 tics up, simples! You can repeat the procedure until its as accurate as you desire. Balancing the scope was straight forward. Each axis can be set to gear engaged, free balance (gear dis-engaged) or lock (with an internal peg-there is no clutch). So you just lock it, adjust the scope position for balance, then try the balance position and keep repeating until happy.

What a superb looking piece of kit, love the little added touch of a full set of imperial allen keys..... :smiley:

You also get a long tie-wrap to help pull the cables through the mount! And (gasp) a printed 163 page manual!

Thanks for the write up. Your thinking on this matter exactly the same as mine - I might give IK a call.

I also considered 10 micron mounts, but they were even more expensive for a similar payload. I think this is because of the encoders and superb non-guided tracking ability. To be honest I don't need this level of accuracy for a permanent installation with guiding. Computer remote control is excellent with plenty of options, though. But the PMX is a very fetching shade of red, has an integrated red night light on the mount, and the hand controller also acts as a red torch - what more could you ask! :grin:

I'm late to this party due to infernal internet connectivity at the moment, but well done. A little bit of what you fancy does... your wallet in!!!  :grin:

There's a bit of something going on with your stars, elongated sideways in the upper left and vertically in the lower right, I guess of optical origin. Any ideas?

Olly

Archived