Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best camera for imaging?

Hi Mark,

Can't say about your scope and mount combo and what to expect, but camera wise - worth having a look here:

http://m.cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html

Canon seems to be the DSLR of choice as it is well used and supported with great software such as BackyardEOS & APT to control the camera from a laptop. That doesn't mean that other cameras, such as Nikon, are no good, just less commonly used.

Good luck!

you would be pushed to get a ccd camera for that price, even second hand so i would go for a canon as surgested above, either as 1000d or 1100d, should be able to get a modded one for your budget or buy a unmodded one and have some money left over

What do you want to image?

DSO imaging has different requirements from planetary imaging. A DSLR is good for DSOs (and the moon) but for imaging the planets a camera with a fast frame rate such as a modified webcam or dedicated planetary camera is better. Having said that, some people produce good planetary images with a DSLR in video mode.

I just spent last 2 years working with an Olympus micro four thirds, but i was working with my hands tied, sold this and got a cnon 1000d and not looked back............get a canon, you can get a clean used 1000d for just over a £100 body only

Thats brilliant cheers guys, was looking at the modded canon 1000D at £199 so might look into a few more an have a good read up on these moded cameras..

1100D is your best choice. Do you have a motorised mount?

yes i've bought a duel axis motor for my EQ-3 mount

Does anyone know what the modified camera's do to the standed ones?

better focus, iso's, bulb? or does it just mean its ready set to take astro photo's without playing to get the right settings?

Does anyone know what the modified camera's do to the standed ones?

better focus, iso's, bulb? or does it just mean its ready set to take astro photo's without playing to get the right settings?

It just means that the IR-block filter of the camera has been removed or replaced to give a better response to the common deep red H-alpha emission line. The camera should pass H-alpha but all DSLRs cheat a bit and start filtering early thus cutting some (up to 75%) of the deep reds as well. With an unmodded camera imaging emission nebulas is an uphill battle with DSLR.

A DSLR preferably a Canon as mentioned above can work perfectly well on planetary work. I use mine all the time with great results at about 30fps.

That is dangerous advice. There are older Canons that can't take video at all and only a few models has the option of a full resolution crop mode that makes the camera useful for planetary imaging.

for galaxy imaging a unmodded Canon will do perfectly well, but as stated above a modded one will work better on emission nebulas better as it allows more ha through.

this site will help with the explanation better.

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/default.html

second hand modded and unmodded cameras come on to the forum a fair bit so you should be able to purchase a good second hand unit for well inside you budget.

i`m might get shot down in flames a little here but i find the Canon alot easier to use than my ccd camera.

Sorry to hijack, but I've been thinking more and more about imaging, since I got some nice shots of the moon, just through the EP on my dobsonian. While I know that isn't the best set up for high quality DSO imaging, I thought about having a go with just a tripod and DSLR and work up from there. The modded cameras that are set up to always focus at infinity - I presume this is just for convenience? I presume DLSRs like the Canon 1100D will be able to work in manual mode where the focus can be manually set to infinity and the shutter controlled as necessary?

Not sure about 'modded cameras that are set up to always focus at infinity'... A modded camera is, as far as I understand it, simply a regular camera with the IR cut filter removed (or replaced) to allow increased transmission of Ha light, thereby making richer reds in the image - lovely for those glorious nebulae out there.

Yes, the 1100D will work completely normally and will need to be accurately focused - an art in itself!

HOTH.

Photogav - think i may have got that wrong then - perhaps I waqs just thinking of having the autofocus disabled, which I presume will be pretty easy to do on a fully manual setting.

Thanks for the info Stardust - very much learning at the moment.

And I will now duck out and unhijack - apologies to the OP!

I've read a good deal about Canon DSLRs for AP however that was a while ago. What makes the 1100D best? Thanks!

His budget is low, but if he buys a 1100D he should be able to get a modded one for his budget too.

Archived