NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn

Do you have Stellarium?  If you pop your location into it you can see exactly what time optimal viewing will be for your location.  Mars for me is about 11 and Saturn starts to rise about 1:30 - 2am.  My back faces south east so those times are about right for my location. :)

Buzz, I've used Star Chart, SkEye and Sky Map+ - which are all good, but I keep coming back to Stellarium - seems more user friendly - if you can get it to work, I'd defintiely give it a go! Not that I have an Ipad or know if you can even get it to work!

Do you get Sky at Night magazine? They have some good monthly info on what you can see - they say next week will be best time for Saturn this month (31st) - although, if the weather holds up I might give it a go tonight.

Stellarium is on android so should recon could find it on Ipad, I did have to pay 8 euros for it, Also for about 8 euros and a much better app than stellarium is mobile observatory, I really enjoy this app especially when out and about and want to see what is out tonight, and set myself some targets to view for when I get home. 

Plenty of free software to but not liked any other that works so well on my Android. If at the PC stellarium is my only choice.

To answer the question for you,  Mars is rising at about 21.00hrs  in south east probably want to leave it till about 22.00hrs to get a better view.  Saturn is rising at about midnight in the same rough direction.  Again probably want to leave it a good hour after to get a better view.  The times will change as the days pass and remember the clocks go forward at the end of the month.

Archived