NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Supa Prom Still There - Fri 21st

Pig

Stunning blue skies this morning, forecast to stay that way until  midday :laugh:

The huge prominence that has been making a drama for the past couple of days is still there but it appears to be slowing up a tad, this could also be just a change in orientation of the Sun making it appear different.

Lots of surface activity also with quite a few spots popping up, there is one very bright swirling patch to the Mid-West that looks very promising.  

Well I am off back outside for a while. Happy tanning :grin:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a real shame Michel, it appears to be growing again.

I have just watched another one develop on the west tip, this one is not as smoky in appearance as the other but is a very thick deep orange with a long slim triangular profile.

I am going to put the Hershel wedge in the pronto as there appears to be loads of sunspots even with the Ha.

Yes, the prom is looking good. It's prompted me to take this quick capture of it, although my solar imaging is veeeery rusty.

IMG132e cam, 300 frames @ 16 fps stacked in Registax, TAL 2x Barlow, basic Coronado PST. No guiding. Just let the image drift across the screen.

13307342663_90c33e1a3e.jpg

If the "superprom" is getting you excited just wait until you see a "megaprom" :smiley:  An observing tip for those just getting into Ha viewing, keep an eye on anything, however small, that looks intensely hotter than the general appearance, this is often where short term explosive events occur.

If the "superprom" is getting you excited just wait until you see a "megaprom" :smiley:  An observing tip for those just getting into Ha viewing, keep an eye on anything, however small, that looks intensely hotter than the general appearance, this is often where short term explosive events occur.

When you say "short term", what sort of timescales do you mean? Are we talking about things that'd fit in a lunch hour? :)

That's a nice pic, Luke, that's just what it looked like to me.

Stop it Peter, I already have one big eye because of the time I spend at some kind of telescope :grin:  without you enticing me with even more good news

I enjoyed a brief bit of eyeball time on the prom today. White light was sweet too. For a bit of fun, I've just tried stacking my shot of the prom and AutoStakkert has made the prom look rather more impressive than it actually was :grin:

13314090813_5c10188ac9.jpg

Stacking error prom!

I'm complimenting the other Luke, Shaun :grin:  I like that Luke let the image drift across the camera chip. That's what I do with my grab and go setup as well :)  Not that my attempt has stacked properly anyway :eek:  Unless the prom really was that big :grin:

I didn't notice Lukebl was a Luke :grin: for some reason I thought he was a Pete :shocked:

I thought you were loosing the plot Luke. However,  it is I who has lost the plot :grin:

Archived