Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My head is going to explode into a supernova

5 days til pay day and I will have saved up £1500

My original budget was £300 ! But after reading 43 zillion forum msgs and some really helpful advice from you guys this has gradually grown astronomically!

I have finally decided to go for an NEQ6 mount - everyone seems to think this is good so I'm happy with that.

But I still can't decide on a scope my head is spinning from all the options ands recommendations!

I was going to go for the 200pds but im now thinking of going for the 250pds instead.

Initially it will be observing only but I wanted a mount and scope that I can also use further on in for astrophotography

I know the 250pds is a little large for some dso photography but I thought I'd buy another ota later if that was an issue for me.

Problem is I keep seeing posts saying the 250pds isnt that good?

Does anyone have this setup? Whats it like? I know its really big and heavy but is that the only drawback?

I know you will want to know what I want to look at and photograph but really I want to view a range of everything and likewise photograph a range of stuff eventually!

Right, where's the whisky I need a drink - and as the duty has veen frozen...

Take a look here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/195924-first-light-skywatcher-explorer-250pds-and-neq6-pro/

It is a beast and would really benefit from permanent siting. I do like it though I don't know whether I would recommend such a scope as a first serious scope.

It does have handling issues but I soon got used to them and soon became proficient at positioning the eyepiece without loosing alignment.

The zenith does pose some difficulty and I find myself standing on a garden chair to reach the eyepiece then!!

None of that matters once you get your target in view and you get that warm glow of satisfaction.... :)

You can use a caravan step to reach the eyepiece - they're only £20'ish from a caravan/camping shop. But really the 250 is a bit big for the NEQ6 Pro. It'll work for observing but you'll get a lot of vibration problems and it acts like a sail in all but a totally  windless night.

I've used one for observing, and one of my mates has repeatedly tried imaging with one - he gave up and has now gone down the refractor route. He only brings the 10" out on a dead calm night for a bit of observing so it doesn't get used very much at all now. You'll have more success using an 8" - and problems will be conspicuous by their absence imho. :)

It's basically a Skyliner 250PX on a mount. It's an f/4.7 telescope with a 10'' mirror. You'll need high quality eyepieces and probably a coma corrector if you're not to get some serious aberration, especially in wide-angle eyepieces. If you don't mind forking out for the extras then your only issue is the size of the thing.

It seems the consensus of opinion is to go with the 200pds instead, (with the neq6 pro)

At least that will save me a little cash which I can spend on extras! Any good extras eyepieces etc you can recommend for this setup? (apart from power supply)

Wooaaah, take it easy, do not rush, I repeat do not rush. I completely understand how confusing this can be, firstly you need to consider, carefully, without being influenced by others what YOU really want. Spending vast amounts of cash is really easy to do, loads of folks on this site (with great respect) will be very happy to help you spend it. Your budget has rapidly expanded, all of our had, we've all been through loads of scopes, so let us make our mistakes for you. Firstly you need to know there are very few scopes which are good for both visual and AP, !0 inch scopes are a nightmare to use on EQ mounts, the kind you need for AP. Look around at those who successfully embark on the AP journey, mostly they start with 3 inch reflectors, ED 80's being the most popular choice by some margin.  Before you even think about getting into AP (a complete money pit) you should read Making Every Photon Count (FLO sell it I believe)  EQ mounts it has to be said are not universally popular as visual mounts, hence to popularity of Dobsonian mounted reflectors. A 8 inch SW Skyliner Dobsonian scope is an excellent starting poimt visually, its not the most popular scope in this country for nothing. If you really do want an outfit that you will be able to use for visual now, with a genuine desire to AP in the future might I suggest buying a HEQ5 mount and a 150PDS scope. You would have enough aperture to get you going without overloading the mount for both visual and the realistic possibility of getting into AP latter should decide to go down that route. one thing you do need to appreciate is that the mount used in AP is arguably more important than the scope you intend to use....and as for cameras  :rolleyes2:

If it helps, I had a recent predicament myself regarding scope size. My gut reaction was to chuck a 10 inch SW PDS on my GIRO III mount, it can take it. It would be very nice to use however, I would have had difficulty moving it around, it would have been difficult to lean over to even use the finder. I stopped using a dob as I have loads of trees around me and am fortunate to have a lovely little cottage with a walled garden, I need to to have scope that is some what higher that the dob I used to own. So on Saturday my new scope arrives, an 8 inch Orion Optics Newtonian scope. The difference between this scope and the 10 inch dob I used to own will be marginable it is fair to say, it will however be far nicer to use.

After some hard thought I've decided a total change of plan !

I'm going to put AP on the backburner for now and stick to visual only and probably get a dob to start with then when I get fed up either trade up or buy a second mount/scope for AP.

So.... best dob to see good detail on planets / Moon and also to see lots of DSO's? Looks like the Skyliner range is very popular - bigger is better too it looks like?

I like the look of the Skyliner 250PX - what's the difference between the flex-tube version of this (apart from the higher price!)

Also, stupid question time.... do dobs just sit on the floor or do you have to put them on a table or similar? they don't look very high in the pictures

I'm going to put AP on the backburner for now and stick to visual only and probably get a dob to start with then when I get fed up either trade up or buy a second mount/scope for AP.

So.... best dob to see good detail on planets / Moon and also to see lots of DSO's? Looks like the Skyliner range is very popular - bigger is better too it looks like?

I like the look of the Skyliner 250PX - what's the difference between the flex-tube version of this (apart from the higher price!)

Also, stupid question time.... do dobs just sit on the floor or do you have to put them on a table or similar? they don't look very high in the pictures

Before considering the 250PX please have a look through this thread I started:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207286-primary-mirror-defect/

The views through mine were so bad I thought the primary mirror was defective. It turned out to be coma produced by the telescope itself and entirely normal. Forewarned is forearmed. Just be aware that significant aberration can be an issue in a fast Newtonian or you might end up very disappointed.

A 10 inch dob will sit on the floor nicely for you to observe, I think your doing the right thing BTW going down the dob road, now go and buy yourself some nice eyepieces  :grin:

Hi, take a look at the topic I've posted, I'm also trying to figure out what telescope to buy but I'm sticking to my budget as I simply can't afford more than 500$. I got some excellent tips, the topic is don't know what to do

oh, that looks bad Wolfpaw  :huh: 

So the 200P is good then? how bout the 300P Flex tube? - just watched a youtube video of it - it's enormous - whatever I buy will live in the summer house in the garden  so won't be moving it round much so I don't think the size is too much of an issue for me

oh, that looks bad Wolfpaw  :huh:

So the 200P is good then? how bout the 300P Flex tube? - just watched a youtube video of it - it's enormous - whatever I buy will live in the summer house in the garden  so won't be moving it round much so I don't think the size is too much of an issue for me

Obviously the 250PX is an option too but just be aware that you will have to spend more on eyepieces and you might well have to purchase a coma corrector with all that entails (cost, getting it set-up, much more accurate collimation, etc.).

Finally bit the bullet - Ordered a 200P from FLO!!  can't wait !

At least i'll be able to see something whilst I decide what to do next and at only £279 it's no great dent in the budget.

Wonder if they'll post it today, probably next week now - it's a bit late :huh:

it's a shame that skywatcher are so narrow minded as to not offer the option to have a pillar mount for their EQ heads 'out of the box', instead of only doing them as an extra cost option. i use a 10" f4.7 Orion Optics scope, the pillar is only 19-20 inches long and is very stable considering what the mount is carrying. I'm only 5'8" and the eyepiece with my setup is easy to get to in any position (in as far as 'easy' applies to EQ contortionism), in fact, the pillar could easily be a couple of inches shorter without the scope colliding.

just my opinion, but a pillar is far more aesthetically pleasing than a tripod and you don't have to be Lurch to use them  :grin:

Finally bit the bullet - Ordered a 200P from FLO!!  can't wait !

At least i'll be able to see something whilst I decide what to do next and at only £279 it's no great dent in the budget.

Wonder if they'll post it today, probably next week now - it's a bit late :huh:

Given their popularity I think you've made the right choice! It's what I would've got if I had my time again.

Archived