Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

final countdown

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-S11130-Sky-Watcher-120ED-Telescope/dp/B004Q76Z5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395094913&sr=1-1&keywords=skywatcher+120

I can get the above scope although it really is stretching the budget and use it for observing till I can get my Celestron AVX mount in about a month...(I had to send the one I had back as needed the money for Christmas) or

http://www.amazon.com/William-Optics-ZenithStar-Refractor-Flattener/dp/B00GS5OFZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395095064&sr=1-1&keywords=williams+optics

I can get this one AND the mount at one time and start imaging right away, if I went with the Skywatch I guess it would give me a chance to get used to the scope before I started imaging? have I just answered my own question?

I keep thinking I am going to just observe but I know I will want to try my processing skills with astrophotography at some time.......

would there be a vast difference in image quality between the two scopes?

Neil.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Neil. I'm visual only, but the two scopes in your link are very different, from 71mm to 120mm is a big leg up with refractors...........

Before you jump in, I'd think long & hard about it because it's not as though you are considering similar scopes.

Regards, Ed.

yes Ed....I was going to go head long into astrophotography but after spending a few evenings over the weekend and end of last week with the binoculars I am quite entertained by the idea of just observing for a while, which is why I was considering the larger aperture, this would surely help when in the future I throw a camera on the end too I would have thought?

By the way, I used to live in Chelmsford Essex many moons ago and still miss the place, I miss the English way of life, the daily paper and the pubs especially !

Neil.

Don't forget the fish and chips! I believe you just get icelandic cod there, not quite the same.

Observing is great fun. For real basic imaging I've been loving just using a cheap webcam for lunar and planetary work. I do use the DSLR prime focus on the moon and also piggy back it on the scope with a lens up to 300mm. It's quite surprising what you can capture. Yes I think we all would like the 10 minute exposures some get but that is OK if you have some very deep pockets. So we have to remember that for a lot of us that will be out of reach for a very long time and make the best of what we can afford and of all things enjoy ourselves and learn.

Am I correct in saying I will benefit from the extra aperture both for observing AND imaging?

Neil.

I am not an imager but from what i have read it's not quite so simple for imaging, yes a larger apparture gives increased resolution but it has implications for speed or focal length. i guess you already know that ideally  you want to be imaging at f6 or less the reducer should bring it down to 6.35 so that's doable. But the focal length also has implications in respect of tracking. the longer the focal length the better the tracking of the mount has to be. as I said i am not an imager and don't know an awful lot about how accurate these mounts are but it may be worthwhile to find out if the increased focal length is going to be a problem for it in the imaging stakes

ok I am slowely being weened off the 120, actually I wanted the 120 so I could see the planets too but as my main interest is in open star clusters and nebula, I would be better off with the WO zenith71 with it's awesome f ratio especially as I am a beginner?

I don't want to be put off this fascinating hobby because I cannot deal with the accuracy required in the tracking for the longer focal length, I'd just get frustrated, I'm going to stick with the easy stuff.

Neil.

Am I correct in saying I will benefit from the extra aperture both for observing AND imaging?

Neil.

Hi Neil,I am wondering if you have heard of the Mod Steppenwolf's book-Making Every Photon Count?I would highly recommend that you consider purchasing it and read it over and over(mines all dog eared!).That SW120ED would be a great visual scope for planetary,lunar and adequate on DSO.I chose to learn the sky first before trying imaging and I have a long way to go with that.Do you have the needed programs for imaging?The means to guide?Not trying to sound discouraging,just realistic-imaging is an expensive sport.

You miss Chelmsford!!

Can no-one cure that yet ?

I agree with Ed they are somewhat different scopes.

Usually for imaging it is the smaller scopes that are used, an 80mm being fairly normal. Of the imagers I know I thoink they all use 80mm apo's, one of them uses the WO-66 triplet from several years ago.

Reasons are that theyare light enough that the mount handles then easily, they are small enough that any breeze has minimal (no) effect, the focal lengths are shorter so tracking errors are reduced.

A 120mm will be better for visual but likely worse for imaging.

Is there a used equipment site that you could get on? The only one I know out with you costs $15 a year. I am wondering if you could get a used WO Megrez 90. Have a feeling that one of them would be the right scope for you.

Suggest you drop down from 120mm to 102mm, stick with ED for visual and some imaging.

Simply the WO-71 is a nice little scope but it really fits the grab and go area best. WO seem to be "honest" and they say CA is minimised, so expect some, even if small. I have been looking at one several times but as I have a WO 81 and 90 I just cannot see one doing anything for me.

Working backwards from objects For Jupiter you need 100x to see much, for Saturn 125x. I base this on my observing of Saturn at 125x through a Tal which was supurb. So even if you say 150x for that bit extra a 100mm ED should doi that easily and produce a sharp image.

The Skywatcher 100ED looks too long at f/9.

Does anywhere over with you do  the Astro-Professional range?

That Stellarvue 110 I mentioned last time would I am sure be excellent for you, at 110mm and f/7 a 5mm Paradigm would give 154x and should do everything, at $1045 it fell within your original $1100 budget. If they did a 100mm I would actually say get the 100mm but they don't. I will say that as they do not specify the glass it is probably FPL-51 but at f/7 that shouldn't impact much.

Just looked at the Stellarvue site and if you wanted they have a pre-used one for sale at $795. How about that option?

Thankyou everyone, am going with a skywatcher 120 and am going to forget imaging for the forseable future, i really dont think i have the patience lol

Sorry bout the large text, am on mobile phone

Neil

To me that seems a very wise choice. From what I have read here over the last few years too many people with little/no experience jump into imaging and get very frustrated when they cannot achieve the standard that some of the excellent imagers  here do. 

Good luck and enjoy.

Ok then i will get the wo zenith 71 for imaging and observing, since i only am interested in open star clusters and nebula.....does that make sense?

The ZS71 is not perfect but this is a few links to what it can do http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211526-first-jupiter-wozs71/  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/210760-wozs71-and-the-moon/  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/210355-playing-with-my-scope/  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/208878-orion-with-basic-kit/

I bought mine basically because i couldnt afford a 400 mm canon camera lens but its done good for me.

Alan

why not go for an skywatcher equinox ED80 ? F6.5 and the go down to F5ish with a reducer, heres twos images i took with an equinox ED80 @F5 and a canon 450d. i modded the 450d for the north American nebula both images uncropped. you dont need the best kit to great images practice and patients is all thats needed.and these where taken from lightpolluted liverpool

post-6284-0-83608100-1395181157_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-72779300-1395181332_thumb.jp

Archived