Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

final countdown

Thank you so much for all your time guys....will ponder in my sleep tonight, since i dont need detailed images of the planets and am primarily interested in open star clusters and nebula i think i will forget the 120 and stick with one of those smaller faster scopes.

Neil.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so if I use two scopes on the same subject both with a focal ratio of f/6.5, one is an 80 ED and the other is a 120ED, the only difference is I need to expose longer for a given result with the 80ED version?

Neil.

Hi Neil,I am wondering if you have heard of the Mod Steppenwolf's book-Making Every Photon Count?I would highly recommend that you consider purchasing it and read it over and over(mines all dog eared!).That SW120ED would be a great visual scope for planetary,lunar and adequate on DSO.I chose to learn the sky first before trying imaging and I have a long way to go with that.Do you have the needed programs for imaging?The means to guide?Not trying to sound discouraging,just realistic-imaging is an expensive sport.

ok so I went out last night and shot 18 minutes worth of the constellation Orion, ( 180 X 6 sec subs ) tried to process in DSS and photoshop, VERY disappointed since I compared my result to another image of Orion of the same exposure time that I found online, as you say Jetstream, I am finding imaging isn't as simple and straight forward as some of the images we see online and in books would have us believe......back to the 120 ED for me for some fun just observing lol

Neil,I want to image myself and bought my first "real" scope-90mm refractor @ f7 a while back.Good scope,but kind of "here nor there" as far as imaging,DSO or planetary.It is seeing limited to about 100x-125x mostly,aperture considered,which is still good @ 35x aperture.My 10" dob almost always allows 150x and up to 250x a bit,great on planets, DSO,lunar.For DSO imaging like I want to do,my seeing,transparency and just outright weather conditions will hamper my efforts greatly,and my f7 frac is slow for this kind of imaging,meaning longer subs,more accurate guiding etc.....

I hear that the SW120ED is an excellent scope,I think John the mod has one.Off topic a bit,have you considered a dobsonian reflector?The platform is so stable to observe with,really helps picking out object details-it was recommended to me to try-awesome design.Something like an 8" f6 just might work for you,might be close to the 120ED performance at less cost-but won't image.

PS-today my 90mm frac found its calling....white light solar(Baader wedge).

Archived