NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mornin

chn

Just signed up to the forum.

Took delivery of my first scope yesterday, a Bresser Messier R90. Can't believe the weight of these things, and its not heavy compared to most of the other scopes I've been looking at.

I've downloaded Stellarium and spent an hour last night looking at Orion and what I believe to have been Mars....

Should I be able to see colour and a little detail on Mars at the moment with this scope? I'm a complete beginner and should have a few books delivered this morning which I'll get reading when they arrive.

I'm hoping that astronomy will give me a relaxing and enjoyable hobby.

cheers Tom.

I've noticed that on my forum profile on the left, the email link shows my email address if you move the mouse over it, but I've ticked the box to hide it?

Is this visible to you or is it just visible to me?

Hi Chn

Welcome to SGL!

Re Mars - in a word "No".

If you do a search for mars, white, disc, no features :D you will read posts from a lot of people finding it blank, and a few lucky people going on about how they looked through the bottom of a Coca-Cola bottle and saw polar caps, mountain ranges etc, etc! Filters might help apparently.

Re email - it is hidden to outsiders but you can see it so you know it is correct. Bit topsy-turvey.

AG

Hi Chn

Welcome to SGL!

Re Mars - in a word "No".

If you do a search for mars, white, disc, no features :D you will read posts from a lot of people finding it blank, and a few lucky people going on about how they looked through the bottom of a Coca-Cola bottle and saw polar caps, mountain ranges etc, etc! Filters might help apparently.

Re email - it is hidden to outsiders but you can see it so you know it is correct. Bit topsy-turvey.

AG

OK cheers.

I need to get one of those coke bottles! :D

Archived