Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Here little doggy.....

Rustysplit

Yes!

I have finally quite categorically managed the split of Sirius and the pup. The sky here is lovely tonight, very still and clear, no doubt helped by the northerly breeze that had been blowing all day. Whilst I initially set up to have a planetary and lunar session, I thought I would give the split a go as Sirius was nicely placed for me at 19.45. I initially had a go with the 14mm Radian, and thought that I caught a glimpse, but could not see it again. I upped the power to 180x with the 10mm Radian, and there it was. Not visible all the time, but clearly separate in the steady moments. Zoe had a look after I came in all excited, and she too managed to spot it.

Very pleased with that result, it has been bugging me. I also tried with the aperture mask stepping the scope down to about 125mm ish I think. The split was not at all obvious that way, if even visible at all.

Excellent Alan  :smiley:

I'd like to crack it with my ED120 but thus far only my 12" dob has shown me this. It's a tough little blighter though like so many astro targets, it's a little easier after you have done it the first time.

I don't find it visible constantly by any means. It sort of glimmers through, on and off, when the seeing steadies for a few moments.

Cheers chaps. It is amazing how the seeing really affects the outcome on this one. I have been trying now for a while, each time I set up. I was beginning to resign myself to admitting defeat. I think the best way to crack it is just to keep having a go in differing conditions. I guess a certain amount of aperture is needed too?

Cheers chaps. It is amazing how the seeing really affects the outcome on this one. I have been trying now for a while, each time I set up. I was beginning to resign myself to admitting defeat. I think the best way to crack it is just to keep having a go in differing conditions. I guess a certain amount of aperture is needed too?

All true I feel, including the aperture. While the Pup star is mag 8.5 it seems a lot fainter with the glow from Sirius so close at hand. In fact I found the Pup was shining through the scatter from Sirius A much of the time and as the seeing worsened just a touch (or even when my eye got a little tired) the scatter increases slightly and the Pup is drowned out.

It's a lot of effort to see a tiny glimmer but thats visual astronomy for you !  :smiley:

Seems a good night for splitting Sirius tonight. I've had the clearest and most consistent views of the Pup star I've had all year  :smiley:

Drat. It's clear here for once and I cannot get out as the garden has been completely dug out for a new patio and I don't fancy putting the scope on Mud.

Adrian

By the time it had cleared here, Sirius was obscured for me :huh:  What scope were you using John?

The 12" dob Alan. It's the only one of mine that will show the Pup, so far at any rate. In fact the dob has now become by far my most used scope. It's just so quick and easy to setup  :smiley:

The 12" dob Alan. It's the only one of mine that will show the Pup, so far at any rate. In fact the dob has now become by far my most used scope. It's just so quick and easy to setup  :smiley:

John, have you tried 120ED without the diagonal? Maybe not most comfortable viewing position, but shouldn't be too awkward either.

John, have you tried 120ED without the diagonal? Maybe not most comfortable viewing position, but shouldn't be too awkward either.

I've not done that as yet Yong. It would be pretty uncomfortable though and I'm anxious not to give my back a reason to cause problems again  :undecided:

Thanks for the suggestion though. 

Howdy all;

Here is an observation with a 9.25 inch Celestron SCT. This is from Arizona at +33 latitude.

C 9.25 Antennas site Seeing + Transparency=7/10 8.8mm UWA eyepiece I can split Sirius for about 10% of the time at this power, the Pup is a dot within the rings of the primary.

Clear skies;

Steve Coe

Howdy all;

Here is an observation with a 9.25 inch Celestron SCT. This is from Arizona at +33 latitude.

C 9.25 Antennas site Seeing + Transparency=7/10 8.8mm UWA eyepiece I can split Sirius for about 10% of the time at this power, the Pup is a dot within the rings of the primary.

Clear skies;

Steve Coe

Interesting report Steve.

Similar to my experience - the split and the visibility of the Pup is not there 100% of the time by any means. 

Archived