NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 11/03 from Bembridge

SnakeyJ

The seeing down here was much better, perhaps officially good for the early part of the night and what a difference :)   Captures are at 3.7m or F18.5ish

Lots of data to plough through, but here's my first:

LRGB (for once the Lum channel added some detail rather than just more noise):

post-26731-0-63427600-1394581791.png

RGB (Sharpened with UM in Gimp):

post-26731-0-65456000-1394581797.png

This is my luminance channel (quite pleased with this :) ):

post-26731-0-96323200-1394581932.png

Managed to get a quick star test in on Eps Gemini before this capture, not perfect but very close both sides of focus.    Might just need to tweak the secondary a little with the cheshire.

Lovely set of images Jake and yes you have the little shadow creeping onto Jupiter which I got tonight - good to get a decent night at last  - I think we deserve it!!

Best regards,

Ralph

Lovely set of images Jake and yes you have the little shadow creeping onto Jupiter which I got tonight - good to get a decent night at last  - I think we deserve it!!

Best regards,

Ralph

Absolutely!

I like this, which is a composite from my first run of the night - took ages to manually align the RGB for the moons, but it was a great alignment of Io, Callista and Europa tonight.

post-26731-0-70975800-1394586210_thumb.p

Thanks Stuart,

I did see the halo, but didn't want to over do the black point clip on my data - I do get this on all the raw stacks, even though the collimation is looking very good on cheshire and on last nights star test.    Not sure, but might have a little more work to do on the secondary positioning.    I'll post some star test images up as a new thread to see if anyone can help spot my mistake!

I hadn't noticed the limb defect on the second image though - obviously going blind at the end of the night.    The LRGB de-rotation masks this, but is noticeable on the straight RGB.     The LD value was left at the default 1, but I'm sure .94 should nail this.     I haven't found much info on this feature within WJ, fortunately quite easy to use though I don't really understand it!

Great images Jake. It was sure a nice view, although I thought the conditions for me were bad.

Now I'm at work and should be doing paperwork, but I've brought in my laptop - I may have to have a peek to see if I managed to capture anything from last night.

If I get the sack I'll blame you,lol

Lee

I had to leave my lappie at home today - I have serious stuff to get done and only firing on two cylinders as I didn't turn in until 2am ish.   Not sure I'm cut out for all this better weather and late nights ;)

Does show how local the seeing is - mine definitely seems to be better up to about 21:00hrs and then dips, perhaps the sea helps a bit with this.    I came in at 23:00hrs then spent two hours playing with the data.

A shorter session tonight if the weather and seeing looks reasonable - I'm now obsessed with ironing out the collimation to get the best possible from this scope!

Nicely caught Jake & good detail too, as Stuart says there is a halo around the image maybe your not aware of it on your monitor, but I find it can be corrected somewhat by moving the black point in levels, ie ps or gimp!

Thanks Richard, Simon and Andy - was going to have another play tonight, but the mist has just put paid.

Hadn't realised how bad the halo was until I looked from the home computer - ouch, but easily resolved with a little mask and levels control!   Might have to be more aggressive with the black point in future, though don't like to set this beyond the histogram peak, but mask and levels should allow me to control this.   

Nice shots there Jake.

I always wondered what caused the halo marks in the black area. Is that definitely right that it is purely down to collimation? I was kind of hoping it was just down to my poor processing.

Thanks Angie - Seeing seems so random at the moment, it was looking nice last night, but then everything misted up to the extent that even the moon was reduced to a glow.   Still I needed an early night and hopefully conditions will be better tonight - might stay up for Mars and possibly Saturn if its fair-good.

Nice shots there Jake.

I always wondered what caused the halo marks in the black area. Is that definitely right that it is purely down to collimation? I was kind of hoping it was just down to my poor processing.

Thanks also Michael,

I'm not certain on the collimation - I've spent most of the year so far chasing down collimation and image train problems and done at least 3 complete rebuilds.    I think much of this was chasing problems due to the seeing, rather than poor collimation.     I need some really good seeing to perform a final star test/tweak, but think it is very nearly there.

Ghosting can be caused by high level ice crystals, though would expect this to give a more even halo around the entire planetary disk - it may also be due to an off set in the focuser/image train.    I have corrected the focuser tilt and think I have this nicely orthagonal with the OTA, but the filter wheel camera and barlow combination could be causing some deflection - though my star tests are performed with the camera and image train in situ.

If I can get some good star test pictures tonight I shall post up a thread on this (with a couple of raw stacked images) to see if anyone can help identify the cause.

Cheers Lee - and for you.   Conditions looking pretty good and, provided it doesn't mist up like last night the seeing could be nice and stable:

post-26731-0-68486100-1394704957_thumb.g

Darn it, just checked the met and it's changed to fog all night :(

Archived