Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Delamere with Mike Baz & Graham

Daniel-K

It was late in the afternoon while Mike slept i couldn't get hold of him on the phone ( must be working to hard...yeah right) so i arranged to go to the forest with Baz & Graham, rather than mid wales cause of the moon.Well it was about 6PM and sent a text off to Mike saying "are you staying in" must have woke him as he replayed within seconds "NO" A quick phone with the postcode of the spot and time to meet was established (finally :) )Off i went to pick Baz up.When we got there Graham was already there waiting for us and the temp was already dropping, when we left Halewood it was mild by the time we got to the forest it was getting cold.

Set up time is now around 20 mins getting better as im getting use to  putting everything together. collimation, tables, etc. **RING RING**

MIKE: "DAN!! DAN!! I think im lost. ive got no signal. im at the bridge.

DAN : "OK i'll ring you back"

at this point i had one leg in my ski pants and one leg out lol  so i finished getting my cold gear on and tried to ring Mike Back.

welcome to the O2 messaging service for 07.... *&%% better go see if hes up at the bridge

well he made it there ok safe and sound :D

Just behind Mike was Mark an unexpected arrival who normal does solar work but has a very nice carbon Fiber F4 Newt on  a giro mount for the rare nights he does come out.

We had some teenagers walking through the forest maybe 18-19 who where equipped with Binos wanting to stargaze after a few mins chatting Graham (once he starts you better cancel any plans you have for the next hour) loves pointing out and telling stories about the night sky. Him & Baz highjacked my scope showing them Jupiter the moon and various other stuff, while i was talking to Mike.

once they left it was time to get the coffee flowing and start  getting some Galaxies. the moons was an issue and the dew was dropping but armed with my newly flocked tube and i wrapped a dew-not strap around my secondary holder i can safely say it lasted all night. Obviously i tried to choose the brightest ones and didnt get so many this time out but i got a couple of good ones i really liked.

M94

NGC 4490

NGC 4485

NGC 5005

NGC 5033

NGC 4244

NGC 4214

NGC 4449- sometime was spent looking at this  upping the mag to X177 and back down again trying to tease out all the detail that was available. we could see something but couldn't quite figure out what it was, but it turned out to be the core.  there was bright spots on the outer edge of the fuzzy patch's. a bit of talking between us and had to google the image to try and figure out what we was looking at. ive added a image and put arrows on all the brightest highlights inside the galaxy we could see. the shape was pretty obvious but trying to see other stuff rather than just a faint fuzzy patch was very exciting.  one im going back to @ new moon :D

NGC 4143

NGC 4111

NGC 4051

NGC 4656 this was really long quite faint though

NGC 5322

NGC 4179

NGC 4361 PN in corvus- couldn't see this with at first but then when we tried my orion ultra block filter wow there it was, corvus doesn't get high so it was a bit of a challenge but we bagged this little PN and it was a great to see the Ultra Block in action

Mikes OO 14" is in a league of its own don't get me wrong i love my SW 350p but i would have Mikes scope in an instant you can see the the extra money is worth it. the smoothness of the mount makes nudging a breeze. we left around 4ish frozen to the bone but with a good 2 hours of moonless viewing.

1:36AM Baz, Graham, Mike heads buried in the scopes.

Me: WOW WOW OMG LOOK LOOK. huge green fireball  going down towards cygnus . yup they all missed it :D takes m to 9 fireballs now!

cant wait to do it all again!

Dan

post-6284-0-04677500-1394535802.jpg

post-6284-0-72835200-1394536463_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-90048800-1394536575_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-61801700-1394536638_thumb.jp

It was late in the afternoon while Mike slept i couldn't get hold of him on the phone ( must be working to hard...yeah right) so i arranged to go to the forest with Baz & Graham, rather than mid wales cause of the moon.Well it was about 6PM and sent a text off to Mike saying "are you staying in" must have woke him as he replayed within seconds "NO" A quick phone with the postcode of the spot and time to meet was established (finally :) )Off i went to pick Baz up.When we got there Graham was already there waiting for us and the temp was already dropping, when we left Halewood it was mild by the time we got to the forest it was getting cold.

Set up time is now around 20 mins getting better as im getting use to  putting everything together. collimation, tables, etc. **RING RING**

MIKE: "DAN!! DAN!! I think im lost. ive got no signal. im at the bridge.

DAN : "OK i'll ring you back"

at this point i had one leg in my ski pants and one leg out lol  so i finished getting my cold gear on and tried to ring Mike Back.

welcome to the O2 messaging service for 07.... *&%% better go see if hes up at the bridge

well he made it there ok safe and sound :D

Just behind Mike was Mark an unexpected arrival who normal does solar work but has a very nice carbon Fiber F4 Newt on  a giro mount for the rare nights he does come out.

We had some teenagers walking through the forest maybe 18-19 who where equipped with Binos wanting to stargaze after a few mins chatting Graham (once he starts you better cancel any plans you have for the next hour) loves pointing out and telling stories about the night sky. Him & Baz highjacked my scope showing them Jupiter the moon and various other stuff, while i was talking to Mike.

once they left it was time to get the coffee flowing and start  getting some Galaxies. the moons was an issue and the dew was dropping but armed with my newly flocked tube and i wrapped a dew-not strap around my secondary holder i can safely say it lasted all night. Obviously i tried to choose the brightest ones and didnt get so many this time out but i got a couple of good ones i really liked.

M94

NGC 4490

NGC 4485

NGC 5005

NGC 5033

NGC 4244

NGC 4214

NGC 4449- sometime was spent looking at this  upping the mag to X177 and back down again trying to tease out all the detail that was available. we could see something but couldn't quite figure out what it was, but it turned out to be the core.  there was bright spots on the outer edge of the fuzzy patch's. a bit of talking between us and had to google the image to try and figure out what we was looking at. ive added a image and put arrows on all the brightest highlights inside the galaxy we could see. the shape was pretty obvious but trying to see other stuff rather than just a faint fuzzy patch was very exciting.  one im going back to @ new moon :D

NGC 4143

NGC 4111

NGC 4051

NGC 4656 this was really long quite faint though

NGC 5322

NGC 4179

NGC 4361 PN in corvus- couldn't see this with at first but then when we tried my orion ultra block filter wow there it was, corvus doesn't get high so it was a bit of a challenge but we bagged this little PN and it was a great to see the Ultra Block in action

Mikes OO 14" is in a league of its own don't get me wrong i love my SW 350p but i would have Mikes scope in an instant you can see the the extra money is worth it. the smoothness of the mount makes nudging a breeze. we left around 4ish frozen to the bone but with a good 2 hours of moonless viewing.

1:36AM Baz, Graham, Mike heads buried in the scopes.

Me: WOW WOW OMG LOOK LOOK. huge green fireball  going down towards cygnus . yup they all missed it :D takes m to 9 fireballs now!

cant wait to do it all again!

Dan

dont believe a word dan says about the fireball, no one else seen it, i seen one at the end of the night though, but no one belived me either. what another great night dan , loving it mate

Oh yes. see if we can get a sneaky trip down the Lynn in April :evil1:

i recon we can danny :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

great stuff Dan, looked a bit frosty out there.  very enjoyable report.

i believe you witnessed a fireball Dan , honest mate ......     attachicon.gifpinncocio.jpg  :grin:

-2 rory, but it felt ok, and your the only one that believes dan. like the nose :grin:

Archived