NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Microsoft Camera codec pack, handy if you use a DSLR

oldpink

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=26829

I found this handy of viewing the raw files from my camera as initially Microsoft's picture viewer wouldn't touch them
and rather than load up photoshop every time I went looking for a solution

this works Ok though it does take a second or two to open a file but they are 20mb raws

I use several PC's & laptops the Canon is set up on my laptop for astro photography
so viewing files is easy but most of my editing is done on on my "Work" PC that I use for my recording studio / video editing set up

that does not have the canon software installed so it allows me to view files on the network drive without adding software I don't need

Why not just view your RAW files in "Digital Photo Professional" , the software that comes on a disc with all Canon DSLRs ... ?

I realise this will be greeted with great astonishment by some advanced members on here but not everybody has a Canon camera. I hold my head in shame :embarrassed:

Mild bewilderment maybe but not astonishment ...  :p

The OP and the first member to reply both use Canon and I was addressing them ...  :grin:

What I do find astonishing is that Nikon continue to charge £200 , give or take , for their equivalents to CanonEOSUtilities and DPP , which are free with a Canon DSLR ...  :rolleyes:

yes I have issues with Nikon images
I do a lot of video editing that often involves stills, Canon I have no problem with but a lot of "Pro photographers" prefer Nikon
this means I have to take their raw shots into photoshop and convert them to PSD's (I use Adobe Premier editing suite for my video work)
this will save me a lot of time looking through images to find the ones I want to use

Mild bewilderment maybe but not astonishment ...  :p

The OP and the first member to reply both use Canon and I was addressing them ...  :grin:

What I do find astonishing is that Nikon continue to charge £200 , give or take , for their equivalents to CanonEOSUtilities and DPP , which are free with a Canon DSLR ...  :rolleyes:

Sorry as it did not include original quotes I assumed you were addressing all members.

Agree entirely with the cost of Nikon software and it is now, I think, about 3 years old with no hope of update as far as I can tell. Personally would not buy on principle, there are many other packages more worthy of my hard earned cash. They do give you ViewNX2 free with the camera but it only a simple file/video editor. There is no doubt that Canon are at the forefront with astro but if members already have a Nikon, Sony, etc. etc. I don't think they should right write them off for the lack of dedicated software.

The next version of Capture NX is the Capture NX-D and its free. I have the same problem the oldpink have but the opposite, I do not know any easy way to open Canon CR2 files. Canon software are free but quite annoying to install if you don't have a installation CD, which I do not have.

Btw, the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack is needed to be installed if digiCamControl to tether your camera. It also works with some Canons but mostly for Nikon users. It can also control multiple cameras.

The next version of Capture NX is the Capture NX-D and its free. I have the same problem the oldpink have but the opposite, I do not know any easy way to open Canon CR2 files. Canon software are free but quite annoying to install if you don't have a installation CD, which I do not have.

You can download here and install from scratch even if you do not have the original disc ...  :laugh:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/canon_software/inside_digital_photo_professional.do

I have a vague recollection that Canon require you to put in the serial number of your camera to download the software.  I didn't have my camera with me at the time I last installed it, but fortunately googling "canon 450d serial number" solved the problem for me :)

James

Canons updaters are full installers. 

its the way they are set up in registery thats the problem.

you download updater, go to install and it says something like ( you need version bleh bleh bleh xxx )

or it tells you you do not have the software installed. a right royal pain and if its an old 300D

350D you can be certain the disc that came with camera has been lost. 

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html

i used this site above to register hack the computer to allow all canon Updates to become full working exe installers

Capture NX-D Beta version available for download at http://beta.nikonimglib.com/download/index.html.en#os-windows.

Yes I saw that beta version, its promising! I hope Camera Control Pro is going to be free too.

Maybe it would be better if the camera manufactures used a standardized image format that is not proprietary, I heard that some manufactures use Adobe Digital Negative but I do not know which who. Here some more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

Archived