Red goggles

They may conserve yours but that means you will use a white light and if at an event you destroy others vision.

If you are at anywhere at all dark, even a garden, then I guess you will have a torch, simply as the red goggles will remove a lot of illumination, so don't use a torch and don't wear coloured goggles. The result will be much the same.

Even with a red torch if things are red then you are using the cones to register colour so you are already knocking out your night vision. A red torch should be so very dim that everything appears grey - no colour perception and only the rods are being used.

In effect any colour, whether red, green, blue that is registered is damaging your night vision.

I'm considering getting a pair myself.  Perhaps from http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-astrogoggles.htm though Orion seem to stick their name on things and multiply up the price (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Mobile-Phone-PDA-In-Car-Windscreen-Suction-Mount-Holder-Cradle-Stand-/111244416072?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item19e6af1448  (£2.87) to http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-starshoot-lcd-dvr-display-holder-13048.htm  (£24)) but I've been unable to find a non-astro branded pair of goggles.  The plan would be to put them on whilst I'm setting up or if I have to go back in the house, and to protect dark adaptation from my neighbours security light.  I don't seem the point of them as allowing you to use a white light torch whilst observing.

A cheaper and perhaps better alternative would be an eye patch.

I had planned to use them not outside where a red torch set fairly dimly would be used but inside the house for a half hour or so as a preparation for going outside. However I take ronin's point that any light is deleterious to night vision. It seems odd that submariners have a reputation for using them in preparation for running on the suface at night particularly in the days when submarines did this.

Thanks for comments guys.

Red glasses are handy when going to an observing location where vehicles may be passing by with their lights on; a friend gave me this pair.   :smiley:

Not doubting the science, but . . .    'friend'?      You should think on that. I wouldn't let my mates out in public wearing those.

Not doubting the science, but . . .    'friend'?      You should think on that. I wouldn't let my mates out in public wearing those.

My Wife says I'm past my sell by date, so I'm not concerned about looking cool.  :grin:

I meant Little Aston obviously. :smiley:

Sometimes I get lost in translation.   :wink:      

Edit: Back on topic....... I like the red glasses, and usually wear them in the back yard, as the neighbours are likely to put their outside lights on without notice. 

The trouble with beer goggles is that you can only observe double stars.

*sorry, its an oldie joke but a good one*

I disagree. Everything looks so much more beautiful through mine!

Archived