Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42

Hi all.

As a beginner I have just been out looking for M42 and was wondering if I have found it.

The view I had with my Dob 200p was of 4 or 5 small stars in a almost small circular shape, also it looked like a misty haze in the fov.

So question is did I find it or was that something else?

Thanks for any answers that may come.

The green tint is very subtle and some folks eyes can't make it out. It sounds to me like might have been using quite a lot of magnification (just a guess !). To see M42 in it's full glory you want a low to medium magnification. The stars in the circular shape are probably the trapezium stars (4 bright ones of these). They lie in the center of a much larger spread of nebulosity which sort of sprawls out at around 50x - 70x.

Sounds like it a good OIII filter makes it pop I used with and with out last night and it still puts a smile on my face the 4 theta 1 stars looked amazing love power as said is best I concur it was greenish last night with out the filter be aware in small scopes the OIII filter kills the view

Pat

The green tint is very subtle and some folks eyes can't make it out. It sounds to me like might have been using quite a lot of magnification (just a guess !). To see M42 in it's full glory you want a low to medium magnification. The stars in the circular shape are probably the trapezium stars (4 bright ones of these). They lie in the center of a much larger spread of nebulosity which sort of sprawls out at around 50x - 70x.

I'll try a lower mag EP next chance it's clear then. Also is a filter any good and if so what colour?

Filters can help bring out a little more of the structure, but you shouldn't have any trouble identifying what you're seeing without one, particularly in an 8" scope (there is no mistaking it even in binoculars). Try it with a lower power EP, as John has suggested. Sounds to me like you definitely had it. Congrats, it's one of the most beautiful objects in the night sky!

I'll try a lower mag EP next chance it's clear then. Also is a filter any good and if so what colour?

Personally I don't tend to use a filter on M42 as I prefer the unfiltered views but a UHC or O-III type filter will enhance the contrast in some sections of the nebula. They won't show it in colour though !

Looked at it through 110 refractor and 31mm ep at the I.O.W last weekend and the nebula was clearly visible as a greenish shape along with the stars of the sword, looked magnificient.

Dave

I have last night mate.

Going to try to target andromeda tonight if the sky permits.

I'm new to this hobbie but finding it amazing, especially now I've got a 200p dob.

The moon is unreal at Barlow + 10mm EP. It's a wonder you can't see the USA flag lol.

try finding m81/m82 , if you find m82 you might still spot the supernova. They are quite easily found by following the stars from the spoon of the big dipper ladle. Also they have probably higher surface brightness than andromeda so they are quite easy to spot. 

_

*                            .   ´  

*                     *       .     *

basically (if my ascii drawing works like it should) you just move from lower left star of the spoon to the upper right , then move the same distance again in the same direction. Use a wide angle eyepiece to spot them. 

try finding m81/m82 , if you find m82 you might still spot the supernova. They are quite easily found by following the stars from the spoon of the big dipper ladle. Also they have probably higher surface brightness than andromeda so they are quite easy to spot. 

_

*                            .   ´  

*                     *       .     *

basically (if my ascii drawing works like it should) you just move from lower left star of the spoon to the upper right , then move the same distance again in the same direction. Use a wide angle eyepiece to spot them.

^^^^ Good idea here. Andromeda is very poorly placed this time of year. The galaxies mentioned above will be far easier.

Archived