SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Radio Astronomy (Anyone dabbling or into it?)

iksobarg

I did a search here and saw nothing title specific to the topic though it appears to get some coverage.

I've had a mild interest just because I've been aware of radio interferometry since many years but lately it's an itch I wanna scratch. (HELP!!!)

I just started looking around today and came across this tidy little overview:

Anyone into this in a big way?

From my little understanding of it you can definately do it. I even think there was someone on here that was doing it. Check the DIY and the Radio Astronomy and Spectroscopy sections. But one thing that I thought hindered many from trying was that you need to be very secluded to achieve it since basically every modern technology interfears with it now a days. I know the largest radio telescope in America that's located in West Virgina is actually located in an area that has restrictive cell service and a ban of wifi. Someone more experienced will hopefully come along and guide you better than I can. Check out the other sections though, I'm sure they will explain a lot.

Hi iksobarg,

Various radio projects "on the cards" and in builds etc. I keep pushing this book when people inquire about Radio Astronomy and do the same now. An excellent buy, much recommended. :icon_bounce:

The Radio Sky and how to observe it by Jeff Lashley - ISBN 978-1-4419-0882-7   Springer publication.

Sure this will quench your thirst.....or scratch your itch!!!

Enjoy,

Les

Hi iksobarg,

Various radio projects "on the cards" and in builds etc. I keep pushing this book when people inquire about Radio Astronomy and do the same now. An excellent buy, much recommended. :icon_bounce:

The Radio Sky and how to observe it by Jeff Lashley - ISBN 978-1-4419-0882-7   Springer publication.

Sure this will quench your thirst.....or scratch your itch!!!

Enjoy,

Les

Thanks Wyvern. Do you have other books on the topic?

For now I am put off by one or two of the reviewers. They pointed out some issues: http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Observe-Astronomers-Observing-Guides/dp/144190882X  It's very preliminary for me now as I have just started into visual and AP so I have time to shop around a little but might end up getting it anyway.

I was curious about radio astronomy until I found out that it requires you to use planet drift/rotation  to capture things and it records 1 pixel at a time when comapred to how a CCD would capture that data.

So it seemed to me like a sadistically cruel way to capture data compared to AP, which is already too much investment in time for me! 

It did strengthen my respect for those researchers out there who do this as a profession and tirelessly collect this data all the time.

I was curious about radio astronomy until I found out that it requires you to use planet drift/rotation  to capture things and it records 1 pixel at a time when comapred to how a CCD would capture that data.

So it seemed to me like a sadistically cruel way to capture data compared to AP, which is already too much investment in time for me! 

It did strengthen my respect for those researchers out there who do this as a profession and tirelessly collect this data all the I feel this time.

I've read and and know very little about the topic however due to what you said is exactly why I am reading and learning about it now. I turn 44 tomorrow! I ambitious and figure I have a decent amount of time to master all this stuff!! \o/

Keep the posts coming guys. Thanks for sharing :)

• 3 weeks later...

Iksobarg,

Sorry for not picking up on your reply to my post of 4th March.

Firstly a belated "Happy Birthday" for the 7th!!

I've personally no issues with the Jeff Lashley book. The VLF receiver in construction is taken directly from there and I find the book most helpful.

For a Jupiter/Solar loop antenna - try here - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/75170-basic-jupitersolar-radio-astronomy/

For meteor work - try here - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/178616-cliffs-meteor-station-diagram-and-works/

These threads should give your teeth something to bite on!!

All best wishes,

Les

It did strengthen my respect for those researchers out there who do this as a profession and tirelessly collect this data all the time.

Thats true.  But you can do radio astronomy WHEN ITS CLOUDY!!!!  I dare say, even at one pixel at a time, in the UK weather you'd gather more data over a given period than you would with optical.

The main problem with the lower frequency stuff would be resolution.

You might find the one pixel is huge.

Microwave work would probably be affected by the atmosphere, so you need to pick your frequencies carefully.

There are some windows in the spectrum reserved for radio astronomy, which should be free of other transmissions, though not spurious interference.

But, nobody said it was easy!

Iksobarg,

Sorry for not picking up on your reply to my post of 4th March.

Firstly a belated "Happy Birthday" for the 7th!!

I've personally no issues with the Jeff Lashley book. The VLF receiver in construction is taken directly from there and I find the book most helpful.

For a Jupiter/Solar loop antenna - try here - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/75170-basic-jupitersolar-radio-astronomy/

For meteor work - try here - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/178616-cliffs-meteor-station-diagram-and-works/

These threads should give your teeth something to bite on!!

All best wishes,

Les

Hey Thanks for thinking of me, Les!

Life is truly lovely at 44. I never thought I would say that but I do know I appreciate what I have.

It was great to be with my family and of course receive a Skytracker.

The more I read on any astro topic the more I (lightly) regret not having had more encouragement and motivation to go into any of the Sciences.

Alas, I'm happy to catch up where I can and definitely plan to expose, motivate and encourage my two young children to go forth!!!

I'll check out the links as time permits and will followup.

More later \o

John

Archived