Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st March, 2014: Stable window in the weather early evening: Jupiter

stephen_usher

Early evening on the 1st March gave a brief window in the weather with a pretty stable and clear atmosphere which allowed me to image Jupiter, producing the best image I've managed so far:

jupiter 2014 03 01 18 38 34

Of course, by the time the great red spot had rotated into view the high-level winds had started blowing hard again and so there was little point in trying to capture it. Even using a low powered eye piece gave an unstable image. Still, can't complain (too much).

Well done Stephen. Certainly an improvement on your previous shot. Looks bigger and has some nice smooth details.

Hopefully the weather will change for the better soon (we hope) so hang in there.

Just out of curiosity, are you imaging from the centre of Oxford or just on the outskirts? I used to live in St Ebbes area and the light pollution is quite bad there.

Well done Stephen. Certainly an improvement on your previous shot. Looks bigger and has some nice smooth details.

Hopefully the weather will change for the better soon (we hope) so hang in there.

Just out of curiosity, are you imaging from the centre of Oxford or just on the outskirts? I used to live in St Ebbes area and the light pollution is quite bad there.

Well, the atmosphere was good enough to use the x2.5 PowerMate this time, hence larger and far more detail.

I live on the outskirts, in Greater Leys. My biggest problem is light pollution though, mostly in the north from the (newly upgraded) security flood lights at the Mini plant, which is about half a mile away. This is basically taking out half of the northern sky with halogen lighting which can't be filtered effectively. The East and the South (my only other viewing directions) are tainted by high pressure sodiums, but this is far less of a problem.

Archived