NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Too much choice, come help me navigate please

Hi all,

Beginner here. Am going to join local astronomy club but right now know [removed word] all. I'd like to buy a telescope, these are my requirements/preferences (that I know of) can you guys please help?

Budget up to £1500

Just want to observe, no photography

Urban Essex, light pollution a problem

200ft garden and fairly big view of sky

Would like something which gives great views, planets, stars etc- great optics important.

Don't want to need to upgrade within next 5 years

Portability and size important, need to pack it in car and set up on my own, store indoors.

Not sure whether I want/need goto features.

If I've forgotten something please remind me.

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For portability and features, you wouldn't do much better than this for visual only http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-flextube-goto.html  You don't have to have the goto version, though personally I do find tracking to be important, especially for planetary work.

That leaves you enough money to buy some decent eyepieces.

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/VX/vx10-10l.html

Hi welcome to SGL. I had similar requirements and went for an orion optics 10" dob and fitted a nexus push to system to locate stuff. It's been great.

It's a lot to spend if you're not really sure what commitment you'll have to the hobby so a cheaper make or second hand might be the way to go until you know. I definitely think a dob is the way to go.

With that budget I'd probably get an Orion Optics 10'' Newtonian on a Dobsonian mount (maybe secondhand as it'll be a lot cheaper)

Something like this: http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/VX/vx10-10l.html

With the rest I'd get a coma corrector, which you'll probably need with a focal ratio of f4.8, something like a Paracorr Type II (again maybe secondhand as they cost about £400!!)

Then I'd get some nice eyepieces, the choice of which is legion if you've got a decent budget. Don't forget accessories, like a viewing chair/stool, a red torch and a couple of observing books (yes, the evergreen 'Turn Left at Orion' is unbeatable as a starter).

:)

Hello and welcome to the forum !

My personal view, give your lack of experience in the hobby would be to actually plan to get something to allow you to build some experience of using a scope now with a view to upgrading once you have got some observing experience under your belt. I'd recommend allocating around £400-£500 of your budget to get an 8" F/6 dobsonian plus, say, 3 decent eyepieces and a good observing guide and a red dot finder upgrade on the scope.

This above kit will give you some really good observing experience, allow you to develop your own tastes and interests in the hobby and then use these in due course to use the £1K you have in hand to move on to an even more capable setup that takes you in the direction you want to go with the hobby, because by then you will know much more about where that lies  :smiley:

I've seen too many folks join the forum, have a "big bang" approach to investing and equipping themselves and then find that their real interests lie elsewhere in the hobby. So this is pragmatic advice I hope  :smiley:

Also an 8" F/6 scope is quite capable of sustaining a lifelong interest in the hobby in itself - many folks on here use less capable instruments and have a lot of enjoyment.

I agree with the above.....

A good 8 to 10" Dobsonian and three premium wide angle eyepieces.

By the way the Dobsonian optical tube can also be mounted on a tracking mount if needed later on.

If you want guaranteed great optics then buy an Orion Optics scope.

Premium eyepieces - Vixen LVW, Pentax XW, Televue Delos.

Hope that helps....

Thanks everyone, very helpful. They are quite big pieces of equipment aren't they? Is there any equivalent that is smaller or do you need size for the views? Just thinking about lugging it out of the car etc (small female)

You can carry the mount and tube separately with the orion optics scopes, they're very portable dobs but maybe a 6" or 8" would be better to start. You need to see if you can view some, maybe at a local astronomy club. Not sure where you are in Essex but I know of the castle point one and north essex astronomy club.

More aperture lets in more light so it improves the views and a Dob gives you more aperture per pound as the saying goes.

Hi. The skywatcher 200p flextube is a good option for the dob. It's a bit easier to get arround. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-flextube-goto.html

Or you could think about and SCT http://www.firstlightoptics.com/advanced-vx-goto/celestron-c8-sct-vx-goto.html

But do your own research. Ready up on the pros and cons of each and if you can go along to a local club and get some hands on.

As the guys above have said, about 1/3 of your budget would be best placed on accerories to compliment the scope.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hi neptune1

Maybe I'll set cat amongst pigeons, but I would suggest you consider joining your local astro-society before you purchase your own scope.

There is much advice to be found at a club, some good, some amazing, some unintelligible.

But you will always find help and perhaps the opportunity to rent out society scopes at a nominal fee (mine charges £4-6/month for newts/dobs/refractors).

That way you can experiment without immediate capital outlay.

The best of luck and welcome to stargazing. :smiley:

Thanks all, am off to the local astronomy meeting next week. Will try out then, weather permitting. Will also do the rounds of a few telescope shops too as just can't tell from the internet. Many thanks for your guidance.

Thanks, I really can't see me getting into photography but who knows? For me it's more the wonder of seeing things as they happen I suppose. I think I'll be best suited to something I can set up quickly and get watching. Anything to avoid there, I see some instruments need acclimatising?

If you are a small lady and need something portable to drive to a dark site every time. I would personally avoid dobsonians all together. Even the 200p flextube is a Heavy beast to lug around each and every time.

Dobsonians definitely give you best bang for buck, when it comes to viewing. But personally, they are best to have when you use it at home and not the kind of instruments you contineously drive out to a dark site. Unless you are physically strong and don't mind the "excersise". ;)

I would actually recommend a a good quality refractor on an Alt-Az Mount. Something like this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-100ed-ds-pro-outfit.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/vixen-porta-ii-mount.html

It's all manual, no GoTo, no tracking, but extremely easy to set up! Cannot get any easier than this. Get a good star chart. Join the local Astro Club and you are set to go!

Especially since you plan to drive out with it a lot (as you say), these 100mm ED refractors will give you fantastic views on a dark site! Especially planets, Moon and brigther DSO's. Practically maintenance free! No need to colimate (like With dobsonians and newtonians).

The refractor comes in a nice transport case as well.

If you contact FLO, I am sure he will be able to give you a nice package deal (as you don't need the flattener), with telrad finder, some good EP's (like the Baader Hyperions for example) and some basic filters to start out with.

PS. And if you really want a motorised GoTo Mount. You can look at this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-allview-mount.html

It has a payload capacity of 4kg, so it can hold the Skywatcher 100ED Pro refractor (as it's 3 kg).

I would look at a nice 8 inch SCT goto with GPS. Think the CPC cost a bit over £1500, but they are nice.

If you really are not interested in imaging then the alt/az mount will be adaquate, you could get an EQ mount if wanted.

Anyway an alt/az is OK for planetary imaging with a webcam. Something to try in the future.

Not exactly small and lightweight but they can be transported as scope and tripod.

The goto and motors mean that others in the family can look through it without the object drifitng out of view.

Find if possible a few clubs to visit and see what is used, track down a few shops to look at, not many I thnk in the Essex area. You may have to drive to Dorking and other areas.

Where in Essex?

I think in about 3 weeks (check) there is an open day at the Institute of Astronomy in Cambridge, if I recall from last years visit two or three retailers are often present, Astronomica and Green-Witch usually. It is free to attend so if not too far may be worthwhile. It would be up the M11 to the A1303 Jn then basically turn right, about 1 mile along on the left.

Slight addition:

Just read "small female". Spend your time looking carefully. Also what do you want to see and expect to see. I am starting to think that you may be better getting a mount and scope seperately. I am thinking of the iOptron cube mount and a scope of you choice suitable for the mount.

Having said this the iOptron items are sold by Altair and they were at Cambridge last year I think. So you could tlak with them.

Thanks, food for thought. I'll traipse to the different shops (Tring not too far and work in London so could visit the Widescreen centre). I'll see if we can get up to Cambridge for the open day too and visit Green witch). i think size is going to be an issue, I'm strong but short-ish and also want to take it on holiday - the large ones will fill the boot of the estate, not to mention squeezing in kids, husband, etc. Best I view in person and narrow it down that way. 

Do you mean you use something like Sky Eye on an Android phone?

It's this

http://www.astrodevices.com/products/Nexus/Nexus.html

I mentioned a bit about it on this thread

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/201593-digital-setting-circles-for-dob/?hl=%2Bastro+%2Bdevices#entry2130382

Mike (faulksy) is using it now. It's brilliant. I use it with my iPad but you can use a phone, Mike uses his Android phone.

Thanks, food for thought. I'll traipse to the different shops (Tring not too far and work in London so could visit the Widescreen centre). I'll see if we can get up to Cambridge for the open day too and visit Green witch). i think size is going to be an issue, I'm strong but short-ish and also want to take it on holiday - the large ones will fill the boot of the estate, not to mention squeezing in kids, husband, etc. Best I view in person and narrow it down that way. 

I would definitely go for a refractor then, like the one I suggested. The transport case is strong and square, so you can easily sort it in the back with the rest of the luggage.

A dobsonian will definitely take up too much Space. Especially if you want to transport it safely. It will decimate practically your entire luggage space in the back.

But if you have the oportunity to check out the Widescreen Centre, you can have a real look in all the Dimensions.

A scope that you don't take out because it's too heavy or awkward is a waste of money.  Dobs give a lot of aperture but are big.  They are also not goto and this means that YOU have to find the objects. That can be tricky if you aren't familiar with the sky.

I would really strongly suggest visiting your local society BEFORE you commit to buying a scope.  Talk to people, go to an observing session or two and see what the scopes are like. Borrow one if you can.

Go to an astro store with stock where you can see and handle the scope you are thinking of getting. Carry it around.

One of the nicer lightish scopes is the NexStar 6 or 8 SE. The mount is sturdy enough to hold the scope.  The scope is compact enough to carry around. It's big enough to show things.  Goto is a great help for looking for things rather than trying to find them.

Chris

Archived